Snowglobe´s ¨Window creattion error¨ on Linux.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello:

I got Ubuntu 11.4 and i can´t run Snowglobe viewer.I downloaded from Playdeb.net and follow the installation instructions.

I wrote the third-party software ¨deb http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu natty-getdeb games¨ and add the repository GPG key on the terminal ¨wget -q -O- http://archive.getdeb.net/getdeb-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -¨ then i installed the viewer from the Ubuntu Software Center.The problem is when i try to run Snowglobe. An error message shows ¨Window creation error¨.

I had a similar issue with Viewer 2 from the SL official site. An error message shows ¨Second life appears to crash last time it ran¨. So i´m starting to think its an OS issue. And i really hope is not.

I´ll really appreciate ANY help possible,because i don´t want to stop playing SL.

P.S: I used to have Windows, but i recently change to Linux.

Thank you very much.

6 answers to this question

I recall you having problems a week or so ago. I too am running Ubuntu although I am still running Maverick as I see a lot of people having problems upgrading to Natty. Anyhow I am running LL's official V2, Dolphin 2, Phoenix, Firestorm and Kirsten's Viewer all without a single problem. Have you checked that you have the proprietary drivers for your graphics card?

What are your system specs?

Hello again Darren!! :) and thank you for your quick response.

This is the whole information from my system:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)

06:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller

06:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

06:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)

06:04.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller

Hopefully this information will let you know if the graphic card might be the problem, or anything else.

Thank you very much again Darren.

If I am not mistaken Intel drivers are pre-bundled with Ubuntu (I think. I don't know much about Intel cards), but that may very well be your problem there. Hopefully someone who is more experienced with the Intel cards will be able to help you. Sorry I can't be of much help :/

Ok. I´ll look for that information and i´ll let you know about it. I got a friend who works at Intel factory in Costa Rica. Which is the only factory worldwide.

And once again, thank you very much. :)

P.S. Either way i find a solution or not, i´ll let you know if Intel cards are the problem. So you can give the information if anyone else got the same issue.

Just for the hell of it because there is nothing to lose try the following. Navigate to your home folder and press CTL+H and then find the folder called .secondlife (it might be .snowglobe perhaps) and rename it .secondlife_old and then try restarting the viewer.

P.S. It might be best to get the Second Life viewer working than the snowglobe (is snowglobe even supported still?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.