Torus & Flexible

CampSoup1988

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In risk of sounding like too much of a newbe, I have a question for you all.

I know Torus can't be set to be flexible, but could you create a script for the shape to intimate flexible?  I wanted to know as I already designed the object with a torus and having trouble converting it into a cylinder.

Thank you,

CampSoup1988

Hi, yes you could use llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast, and tweak the numbers to react to things like wind and motion, but it will be laggy with the constant updates if you want it to resemble flexible at all. Flexi moves the work off the sim to the viewer, you will have a much happier sim if you can make the conversion to a cylinder work.

OK, so flexi would not really give you what you want anyway. You could use PRIM_SIZE and probably a little PRIM_POSITION in llSetPrimitiveParams etc. to "squish" the torus, and you will probably have to move any rings etc. to match. This can get messy if the collar has lots of details.

A good way to work around this kind of trouble is to make what is really two or three collars, ans switch the prims' visibility with llSetLinkALpha or again with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast. This will not be quite as smooth looking as prim movement, but it can look more synchronized, and you can aim for a little more realistic "pulled" shape more like an egg or teardrop, instead of a simple squish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.