Having problems with a giant avatar (mpelvis and rigged cloth)

Zhannika

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay. First of all i'm not that experienced in blender but however, i managed to learn this week (thanks to all those avastar guides) how to make a nice giant avatar and rigg a nice skirt in the process, this avatar is like 120ft!.

You see,everything was fine and worked correctly ,at least when i tested it in another grid (because i didn't want to spent tons of lindens just for testing) and my avatar was perfect  with the  little skirt that i rigged:P

Thing is, that i after i decided to upload my mesh to second life, problems happened. First, the avatar was waaay sunk into the ground, like i was walking with my pelvis and  not even hover height and the appearence editor could fix it (which again, was very strange because the same mesh i uploaded in second life worked perfectly in the other grid). So i found a workaround for this (well, i got a tiny hint but it was very important) which was moving the MPELVIS in blender down which forces second life to put you above the ground . I was very glad when that worked but after i put my skirt on, i noticed that ,logically, the game thinks that the center of  my body (the mpelvis root) is near my feet, which indeed is as the bones from blender are showing me, but is very hard for me to figure out how to rig like this since i have no idea. So my questions are:

Is moving the mpelvis the only situation to my problems? And if it is the only one, any tips on how should i start to rigg my skirt (or any lower clothes) with the mpelvis so close to my feet?

Thanks in advance!

Zhannika wrote:

Is moving the mpelvis the only situation to my problems? And if it is the only one, any tips on how should i start to rigg my skirt (or any lower clothes) with the mpelvis so close to my feet?

Thanks in advance!

You are getting into some touchy areas here, and it is hard to say how to handle it "correctly". No, that is not the only way. You can also set an offset in the mesh uploader.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Medhue, i assumed it was going to be very complicated,. And yes, i'm aware of the offset thing and i forgot to mention : that doesn't work ! In normal circumstances yeah, but here is like i'm lacking.

You see, if only the max i could go wasn't 3.000 but more like 10.000 that would  inmediately solve my feet sinking through the ground problem. I put some pictures here to clarify my problem. See, the first picture  is the "normal giant mesh" that worked very good in the grid that i was testing but  somehow in second life is "sinking", the picture at the right is the avie with the rigged skirt that i did. 

The second pair of pictures  is the same giant mesh but with the mpelvis moved down, the feets are kinda okay now (tho i'm planning to upload another one with the mpelvis  more down to finally get the feet thing right) , but then when i add the skirt (right picture) my avie gets all deformed because of going directly to the mpelvis... i wish i could tell the skirt to be attached to somewhere else in blender but didn't find a way to do it (and then, i don't even think it's possible).

N

Sorry, I don't have that much experience with giant avatars, as I wouldn't really do it that way to begin with. That said, if you want them to work with normal animations, then this is the way to go. I think the problem comes into play because you are scaling the rig. Then, when you add the skirt, the rig is already scaled, but the skirt is scaled in a completely different way. Again, let's remember that I have little to no experience with giants, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Ultimately, I think you need to put that skirt on before your set up is scaled, and then it will be fine when you scale all of it together. So, if this is the case, I'd keep 2 versions of your giant, 1 before you scale, and 1 after.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.