Avastar : connect my mesh to volume bones (sliders)

Alexi Dockal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

(Sorry in advance for my bad english)

I have a problem with the re-attachment of the sliders in my mesh under Avastar 1.70, let me explain:

I have a body mesh that already have vertex groups and i just want to connect it to my armature as well as sliders deformation. To connect to my armature, no problem, i select mesh and armature and then i click on "Bind to armature [Keep] + [Attach Sliders]". The concern is that once do, I'm handling my sliders, nothing happens.

Since i check the "attach sliders" option, i believe they have nothing else to do. However, acquired by conscience, i also tested without checking this option and bonding sliders then, this by clicking on "Appearance SL". Well, the result is the same!

Note that i don't fully understand the difference there is between the panel "Appearance Control" dedicated to the mesh and the panel "Appearance Control" dedicated to the armature. Because, indeed, i see that there is a difference: when "SL appareance" button is enabled for the mesh, it is not always for the armature.

In short, if someone could enlighten me, thank you ... ;-)

In the Binding pannel:

The Attach Sliders option tells Avastar to enable the SL Appearance Sliders right after binding the mesh to the Armature.

In the Skinning Pannel:

When you have selected a Mesh then the shown value is related to the Mesh itself. So you can attach the sliders (enable SL Appearance Sliders) for each mesh separately.

When you have selected the Armature, then the shown value is related to ALL meshes attached to the Rig. So you can enable/disable SL Appearance Sliders for the complete character.

When your mesh does not react on the sliders even when you have enabled the SL Appearance Sliders, then you most probably have not enabled the Fitted mesh bones as Deform bones.

Avastar-1.7.0 has an option to enable the Volume Bones as Deform Bones:

http://avastar.online/help/rigging/  check the chapter Bone Deform Settings

For Avastar-1.7.1 we will add an automatic check for this when you use the "Keep weights" Option during binding. So as soon as 1.7.1 is out your mesh will react to the SL Appearance sliders right away.

Thank you for your help and your explanations, Gaïa! Unfortunately, i tried to activate the Deform Bones and it gives nothing ! I have all redone in order to be safe. Note that my Deform Bones were effectively disabled.

I tried to activate Deform Bones before and after binding the mesh to the armature to make sure.

Note that the values shown in the table "Fitting Bone Strength", tab "weighted", remain steadfast to 0.0 however i know they are supposed to be 1.0 by default.

Armature not binded and Bone Deform activated :

Armature binded and selected :

Armature binded and mesh selected :

Thank you, Gaia ! In fact, it will not be necessary, i have more or less found a solution to my problem. In the "Fitting" panel, the dropdown menu was on "Fitting Preset", i'm switched on Fully Fitted and it fixed the problem. Finally, the concern is that my weights was slightly modified : those on the rigging bones went on the fitting bones and the weights of fitting bones were missing. But, well, it's not too serious, i can replace the weights of rigging and recreate the missing weights of fitting.

That's ... That said, it's still interesting to have an answer to this mystery so i'm waiting to see the response i have from the help service of Machinimatrix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.