It appears that the Windows 10 November update makes it impossible to access SL

Jazmin97x

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 1151, OS Build 10586.36. Everything was working fine until last week when the newest update to Windows 10 got installed. Then I became unable to access SL - the client "hangs" during "Initializing VPS" and I have to stop the client with the Task Manager (it says "not responding").

I have tried with a total new install (delete everything and re-run the installer) of both the latest Firestorm release (which I was using before) and LL's viewer - both clients stop at the same point during startup.

Yes, I have seen the entry in Firestorm's Wiki about this problem, but following their advice did not work. Nor did a "clean install" work. On Microsoft's support pages, I found some entries from 2012 regarding a similar problem with Windows 7.

So I suspect this is a fairly new problem with this update to Win10.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

I as well as many 100's are running SL Viewers using Windows 10 Home & Pro, Version 1151.

Initializing VPS hangups have a lot to do with the probing steps the viewer performs to determine your hardware and it's current driver state.

First things first, make sure that your PC is operating correctly with the most current drivers. Ask Cortina to run the Devices app then select Device Manager and look to make sure no device is in an error state is missing a driver. If it is you must locate an appropriate driver. Your PC's Support Website should have links for driver downloads for the Windows 10 OS.

Also force run the Windows Update feature untill all current updates are found and applied.

Next, locate and download the latest drivers direct from the Graphics Card manufacturer. If the install procedure does not include an uninstall step, manually uninstall your graphics card drivers [including GC Audio Support Drivers] and install the newly downloaded drivers.

Here are the links to the 3 most seen GCs in PCs and Laptops.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers  Nvidia GeForce

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download  ATI/Radeon

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/  Intel

If all else fails you can manually edit the SL Launch Shortcut and add the "-noprobe"  option according to your viewers creator's instructions.

Here is how it should look:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\SecondLifeViewer.exe" --set InstallLanguage en -noprobe

• Like 1

Thank you SO much Karen Michelle. Unfortunately, Cortana is not available for users in Norway (I think it's because Microsoft tightly couples location to Cortana-language, so a combination of Norwegian location and English language (which is what I want) does not work. The same problems exists in Outlook).

I know I have a non-standard Intel driver (the Intel check program just told me so) but I also have a NVIDIA driver.

I will play around with these and hopefully find a combination that works. (I am fairly tech-litterate, but nothing like you are!)

Thanks SO MUCH. *HUGS*

Yes. I re-installed the NVIDIA-drivers, and it seems to have fixed the problem (well, almost - Firestorm starts fine about 90% of the time). But I am getting an error message about NVCPL.DLL.

I will keep digging.

And THANKS AGAIN, and have a Happy Holiday!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.