Discount on Marvelous Designer course for SL creators... good or bad idea?

VanillaSunsets

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This morning I woke up and was pleasantly suprised to find a discount on a MD course special for us clothing designers. I welcome these discounts, as creating for SL is not only time consuming but also very costly if you choose to use some software packs. In the past I sometimes used MD in my workflow, in general, I found it to be a nice piece of software. 

Big BUT comming tho... MD creates very, very messy topology! It spits out "quads" now, a big step forward, but it still is very messy and weight painting is a nightmare. The meshes are very dense, unless you lower this manually. This means you have to do a whole new retopology to make it usable, to make it have a good flow to animate and to not lag out the severs of SL.

I believe people should be very aware of these extra steps. This is of the most importance, to keep land impact of clothing reasonable and to make it behave good in SL. I still wonder why heavy land impact on clothing is not punished yet and I wonder why this is not mentioned clearly about MD. Many new creators will use MD, without retopology, weightpaint the mesh badly or automatic transfer the weights resulting in ugly movement. 

So, to make a long story short... using MD is cool! BUT, do retopology and spare us the lag. Be prepared to buy software like Zbrush or simulair to convert your meshes into low(er) poly meshes with a logical edge flow. There are some ways to do this in Zbrush (you will lose UV layout tho) or use Maya and transfer your UV's. A free aternative is Blender, you should however learn to do retopology manualy with, for example Bsurfaces. There a some tutorials on these workflows on You Tube, but all have a downside and it is far from easy to get this done right. 

To all that will start using MD, or are are using it already. Please take this to heart. It is a great piece of software but it will not spit out a finished and usable mesh. If you like to keep SL low lag, be prepared to do these needed extra steps! 

I am afaraid tho, that many ppl will not take this advice and we will be stuck with tank tops that have 5000 tris, that will not rez for an hour and make SL one big happy lag world! 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.