Having driver issues with my GTX 970 after playing Second Life

Shoarmapapa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Ive had this issue for a while and recently found out that SL is the culprit.

The issue is as follows.

When I boot and play SL, even if only for a few minutes.

After a reboot my GPU will be at max usage and 65 degrees celcius idle where usually its under 25 degrees idle.
The only solution I have for this is using DDU to remove the driver entirely, reboot, install new videocard driver, reboot and play. But as soon as I play SL it will get stuck in a high GPU usage state.

My Rig:
Core i7 860
8 GB RAM
Nvidia MSI GTX 970 4G

I can play many other games without issues, even high end ones.

Examples: Battlefield 4 on max settings, Fallout 4 Ultra settings, WoW, Guildwars 2 and many others.

Please help, been working on this issue for ages now.

What version of the drivers are you using? Are you using any software like after burner?  Has your bios been updated?  I cant seem to get sl to push  my card to max settings without cranking the settings so it's like that something is still forcing the gpu to max out. Also check your fans 970's like to throttle down to zero and thus the temp rises.

I'm using  MSI gtx 970 Gaming 4g card.

I suspect it may be because the viewer forces Max Core Clock after a system reboot. This is actually done on purpose but there have been quite a few complaints about this behaviour.

This is the code commit which added this behaviour:

https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer-release/commits/6a2054a7cf5b83220f6f0342af51b3d0d0ae25cd

MAINT-1841 Use NVAPI to force NVIDIA GPU power management mode to prefer max performance

Relevant JIRA issues & forum threads:

Hmmm,

That is the issue, it sets my gpu to max performance thus always running at max speed, power consumption, clock rate etc.

After ending SL and a reboot, for example when I close down the pc and start again next day then it stays in this max performance mode, and the only solution is removing my nvidia driver using DDU, and spend about an hour on removing and installing and then setting my settings as i want them again.

Really annoying.

ATM I use the 352.86 because this seems to generate the least amount of issues for me, I tried all other release up to and including 358.91. But the issue always persists.

I checked my fans, they run at normal speeds for the temp my card gets, which varies from 55-65 degrees celcius while idle because of the screwy max performance. It supposed to be about 25 degrees after a reboot at idle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.