Looking for somebody with knowledge of Latin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heya,

I'm getting my avatar a necklace with a custom text on it. I used google translator to get a latin text but since that's in alpha I'd like to double-check before I send my order in. Could anybody take a look at it and tell me if the phrase makes any sense? Thanks in advance :)

English phrase: My beloved family and friends

Latin phrase: Dilectus meus familiares

Any help is really appreciated ♥

@Azura: what is the sense of the phrase? Words in Latin have different endings depending on their grammatical role and if you are trying to say "This is a present to my beloved family and friends" that would be stated differently from "This is one of my beloved family and friends". I would use the root words familia for family, amicus for friend and carus for beloved, and if you are tight on space I wouldn't even bother with "my" as this is presumed. Reply and I am sure that we could find something appropriate, although simply "familia et amicae carae" might do the trick.

@Azura: There are many ways in which you might do this, saying "one of my dear ones" or "Azura's beloved clan" etc (a problem is that Latin treats 'family' as female and 'friends' as male by default which messes up the way in which an adjective can easily be associated with the two concepts) but the way I have suggested it keeps it simple - and unless you meet any real nitpicking Latin scholars or time-travelling Roman plebeians (the hoi-polloi in Rome spoke Greek) it should be good enough. I wouldn't use 'dilectus' as you originally suggested though, because it has a secondary meaning of 'conscript', with the implication of 'slave' - unless of course it's applicable!

Thanks for explaining, Cato :)

"familia et amicae carae," got it.

Cato Badger wrote:

I wouldn't use 'dilectus' as you originally suggested though, because it has a secondary meaning of 'conscript', with the implication of 'slave' - unless of course it's applicable!

It's not applicable. Google told me to use that word :x

The Latin words for family are: "prosapia" and "familia"

Latin phrase: Dilectus meus familiares

Detected as Galician: Dilectus my Family

When Latin is declared as the language it translated as: My beloved is familiar friends,

prosapia- noun    : Family
1.STOCK
2.RACE
3.LINEAGE
4.ANCESTRY
5.PARENTAGE

familia -noun   : The family of the
1.FAMILY
2.DOMESTICS
3.HOUSEHOLD
4.HOUSE
5.FAMILY-ESTATE
6.BROTHERHOOD
7.FRATERNITY
8.SECT
9.SCHOOL
10.TROOP

See if this works for you, I translated it both ways.

My beloved friends and family
Dilectus meus amici et familiae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4809 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.