The Grid Republic City

Atop Seid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There have probably been many requests for a sim/island/region in the past, and whether or not they have been met I cannot say. However, I can say that the benefits to whoever can provide one now should make up for any doubts today.

The Grid Republic is seeking a base of operations. The Grid Republic is not a military, but a government, or rather, an actual Republic. Other groups are free to join the Republic and become part of our Senate. Our basic physical design is partially based off of the fictional faction, The Galactic Republic, from the popular science-fiction franchise Star Wars.

However, do not assume that this makes it unworthy. The goal of the Republic is not to serve roleplayers, but to serve the entire Grid, particularly new players. The Republic is to privide business, combat, social, and advertisement opportunities to everyone on Second Life, without hindering the experience of others, which is why notices shall not be available to ordinary citizens. The Galactic Republic simply seemed like an interesting basis for the group.

On the sim we shall build, our Senate and Executive buildings for all government operations, our training center for our military, a city for the civilian population, and a Jedi Temple for those that actually DO seek roleplay, or who wish to help enforce the rule of law across Second Life. These are the main areas of the Sim only, and other, less noticable buildings shall be present as well. In order to fit this all in, each area shall be placed at a different height, just beyond the draw distance of most avatars.

The benefits to the provider of the Sim are thus: the rent from every single store and apartment rental shall go to whoever proves the Sim, and the provider shall also have a seat on the senate if they so choose.

In the past, I have been rudely mocked for this concept. However, is it so wrong to offer great new educational, business, advertisement opportunities, and more to Second Life's residents? I have been accused of being a Star Wars fan, which would be my only motivation for this, and while I admit I find the franchise enjoyable, I would have made the Grid Republic into a roleplay group if I cared more for science-fiction than for the residents of Second Life.

The benefits of this could be immense. If you have nothing positive to say or anything which cannot be of assistance in this task, then please do not reply. I have had my fill of feeling like the mocked inventors of old.

Best regards, and may you all be well.

Atop Seid wrote:

There have probably been many requests for a sim/island/region in the past, and whether or not they have been met I cannot say. However, I can say that the benefits to whoever can provide one now should make up for any doubts today.

The Grid Republic is seeking a base of operations. The Grid Republic is not a military, but a government, or rather, an actual Republic. Other groups are free to join the Republic and become part of our Senate. Our basic physical design is partially based off of the fictional faction, The Galactic Republic, from the popular science-fiction franchise Star Wars.

However, do not assume that this makes it unworthy. The goal of the Republic is not to serve roleplayers, but to serve the entire Grid, particularly new players. The Republic is to privide business, combat, social, and advertisement opportunities to everyone on Second Life, without hindering the experience of others, which is why notices shall not be available to ordinary citizens. The Galactic Republic simply seemed like an interesting basis for the group.

On the sim we shall build, our Senate and Executive buildings for all government operations, our training center for our military, a city for the civilian population, and a Jedi Temple for those that actually DO seek roleplay, or who wish to help enforce the rule of law across Second Life. These are the main areas of the Sim only, and other, less noticable buildings shall be present as well. In order to fit this all in, each area shall be placed at a different height, just beyond the draw distance of most avatars.

The benefits to the provider of the Sim are thus: the rent from every single store and apartment rental shall go to whoever proves the Sim, and the provider shall also have a seat on the senate if they so choose.

In the past, I have been rudely mocked for this concept. However, is it so wrong to offer great new educational, business, advertisement opportunities, and more to Second Life's residents? I have been accused of being a Star Wars fan, which would be my only motivation for this, and while I admit I find the franchise enjoyable, I would have made the Grid Republic into a roleplay group if I cared more for science-fiction than for the residents of Second Life.

The benefits of this could be immense. If you have nothing positive to say or anything which cannot be of assistance in this task, then please do not reply. I have had my fill of feeling like the mocked inventors of old.

Best regards, and may you all be well.

Over all, not a bad concept, though there are some things that I have a problem with and some that you will have problems with.

First, perception. How many new residents will perceive your Republic as just another Star Wars sim?

Next, this thing about enforcing the rule of law across the Grid. Who's law? And by what authority?

Recognition. That is, why should anyone recognize your authority? To explain further, if one of your people come to me and tell me that I can or cannot do something, why should I pay any attention to them?

Also, how can you set your Republic up as a government? That is LL's job, not yours or mine. For any government to work it has to be accepted by the people it governs. It has to have the authority to make and repeal laws, mete our justice, ensure the safety and security of its citizens and much more.

How will you fund your government? Taxes? You cannot legally collect taxes unless you are a legally recognized government by RL nations.

I am not mocking you. I ask these questions in all seriousness. These questions and others will have to be answered before you will be taken seriously.

Some very good questions.

Regarding your first question, I have plans to ensure that it is advertised appropriately in order to ensure that information regarding the sim is spread around the grid, spreading all the vital information regarding it. It is a complicated plan, but I have thought it through.

Regarding the law, they are the Linden's laws. The ToS shall be upheld wherever possible, and the Grid Republic shall help ensure that major violations are reported. No one shall ever be under any Republic authority.

Second Life has no government owned by Linden Lab's. The purpose of the Grid Republic's government is to unite other groups. Of course though, anyone who chooses not to join the Republic shall not be under any such government authority or needs to abide by it. A common problem I experience when people meet me with this subject is that they assume I wish to govern the entire grid, but I can assure you, it shall be limited to those who seek the benefits of the Republic only, in other words, only Republic members. The Republic's politics deal with all internal matters which you mentioned.

Money shall not be that much of a concern to me during the Republic's time, but when it shall be required, I shall earn it for myself. I find taxes to be morally wrong, and so, I believe all governments should earn money. I intend to legally sell my own products in my own business as any other resident.

You have determined some good questions, and I am perfectly content in answering them. I encourage the asking of further questions.

Atop Seid wrote:

Some very good questions.

Regarding your first question, I have plans to ensure that it is advertised appropriately in order to ensure that information regarding the sim is spread around the grid, spreading all the vital information regarding it. It is a complicated plan, but I have thought it through.

Regarding the law, they are the Linden's laws. The ToS shall be upheld wherever possible, and the Grid Republic shall help ensure that major violations are reported. No one shall ever be under any Republic authority.

Second Life has no government owned by Linden Lab's. The purpose of the Grid Republic's government is to unite other groups. Of course though, anyone who chooses not to join the Republic shall not be under any such government authority or needs to abide by it. A common problem I experience when people meet me with this subject is that they assume I wish to govern the entire grid, but I can assure you, it shall be limited to those who seek the benefits of the Republic only, in other words, only Republic members. The Republic's politics deal with all internal matters which you mentioned.

Money shall not be that much of a concern to me during the Republic's time, but when it shall be required, I shall earn it for myself. I find taxes to be morally wrong, and so, I believe all governments should earn money. I intend to legally sell my own products in my own business as any other resident.

You have determined some good questions, and I am perfectly content in answering them. I encourage the asking of further questions.

Thanks for the response. However, there is a flaw in your reasoning. A friend of mine makes a good point about SL and LL when it comes to governing. LL is the government. She describes LL as being a corporate oligarchy. They make the laws and they enforce them. And that is the next point, enforcing the 'law' (ToS). That is LL's job, not ours. Read up on the JLU and their activities. They do (or did, not sure if they still exist) go around SL trying to enforce the ToS. In the end, they are nothing more than a gang of vigilantes. For you to go around trying to enforce the ToS without LL's official approval will make you the same thing, a vigilante organization.

I understand your concerns. I consider the Republic to be a "government within a government". We claim no ownership of Second Life in any way. We merely wish to create a form of order within Second Life.

Regarding your second point, Republic Security forces do not patrol the Grid, but rather simply Republic owned areas, reporting only very specific violations of the ToS. The purpose of the Abuse Report system is to report violations to Linden Labs, is it not? The Republic's Security Bureau is simply tasked with reporting these violations in Republic areas. If this were not allowed, then the entire Abuse Report system is unnecessary, and as a result, every single member of Second Life has LL's approval to enforce their laws.

Your concerns are familiar to me, and I can assure you, they not worthy of concern. I have considered all the aspects, and have been doing so for the past year, and I would not rush into any decision without thinking of the consequences.

Sounds somehow like another wannabe dictatorshop, lead by a selfstyled unfailing person (you have taken all under consideration). Sound kind of like another RP System...

Oh yeah "Your concerns are familiar to me, and I can assure you, they not worthy of concern."... Sorry, but such a sentence disqualifies you totally.

Isnt there already the C.D.S - Confederacy of Democratic Sims (or so), that does the same (albeit not under the Banner of a Star Wars sim)?

Your comment seems to lean dangerously close to an attempt at mockery.

I would never consider myself to be an unfailing person. I have attempted to consider almost every single aspect of the Republic. If I did not, do you truly believe I would have come here requesting someone willing to provide the use of a Sim without knowing what to tell them about the Republic?

I would never consider myself a dictator, especially since the power shall be with the people. I have even been writing a constitution which ensures that the people shall remain free to do as they please without breaking the ToS. I myself shall not actually have that much power, considering the immense amount of work I shall put into the Republic once it is more fully established.

The concerns mentioned previously are not worthy of concern as they have already been addressed. I have previously informed many people as to my intentions and have assisted in putting their minds at ease.

I have done and stated nothing to indicate that the Republic would be a roleplay system. Had I based it off of the US government would you consider it a roleplay system? What if I created it off an entirely original physical concept? I care very little for roleplay actually.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.