Multi-CH and Non-PS Previews

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There was a question asked right before the forum changed again. Looks like we have stickies again, which is good news.

I did test MCH with an old demo of Painter 7 and the preview was all black. However, once I committed MCH, all was fine once I got back to the working document. This means that working with MCH might be blind depending on your host. I honestly don't know if this is due to non-compliace of FilterMeister or non-compliace of non-Photoshop hosts.

The app in question was The Gimp, of which I have no real experience with. Claire the Awesome did show how to get The Gimp to use MCH, but I do not recall if she said that the Preview was working properly.

That's all I got.

I'm running GIMP 2.6.8 with PSPI (PhotoShop Plug In), using TS3D_multichanhaxv1b on Win7 Pro SP1 and the preview window is currently working for me. I've listed all the pieces of the puzzle in the hopes of figuring out why it's picky with previews.

Multi Chan Hax worked for me the first time I tried using it in GIMP but I may have been lucky. I ranted about it to another GIMP user on my friends list and she reported the black preview window. The weird thing was we were using the same version of GIMP, same OS, same MCH filter and files- but she saw a black preview window *sighs*. In the time between then and now I've seen MCH work and not work for me in GIMP on my own computer and there seems to be no logical reason why it happens. 

So the warning for non-photoshop users is that while it works, it might work strangely. For some reason the preview window sometimes doesn't show what it should. The filter still works when you apply it but you can't preview the results as you're flipping through the channels. To phrase that in a more positive way- while you can't preview the changes, you can still see the magic when you apply the settings.

Abu, could it have anything to do with the DevIL.dll I grabbed for BendThis TBN? My first thought is "no" but I'm putting it out there as a "maybe". Any thoughts?

Strange things indeed.

I highly doubt DevIL has anything to do with the Preview problem. It really shouldn't.

Now, from what you've said about it being sometimes and all that, I can't think of anything in particular at all. So, I am perfectly fine with chaulking it up to quantum mechanics. It either is or it isn't, but you don't know until you look.

Ah, but the real strangness is that this is the second time typing this post. Apparently, while typing a sentence or two about blaming quantum mechanics, I crossed the event horizon that causes my computer to reset. Hmmm...

Abu Nasu wrote:

Ah, but the real strangness is that this is the second time typing this post. Apparently, while typing a sentence or two about blaming quantum mechanics, I crossed the event horizon that causes my computer to reset. Hmmm...

I don't think you crossed the event horizon (I still see you), but perhaps your mixed metaphor caused the waveform to expand to include your computer, but then it collapsed again because you were there to observe it.

science.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Multi-CH is my new obsession, unforunately there is very little literature or anything in the way of how to use it. I know what its capabilities are and how it works and the basics, but I have no idea how to use the different channels or incorporate them in my work flow. Can anyone point me in the right direction or is anyone available to tutor me? I'd pay for your time.

• 3 weeks later...

oh, I would like to have this plugin. Im runing Linux 64bit with Gimp. I have installed succesful pspi but he cannot find the Multi-CH plugin in the directory of PS plugins. And I dont know why. Only one difference i can recognise is, that when the pspi plug is installed, the Gimp gives error /create some menu entry for fx-foundry failed)...Hmm...I would like to understand....i whish somebody can tell us - Linux users- how to solve this problem. Regards. Butti I need so badly this plug.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.