Texturing Clothing PSD File

Shaunee Gabardini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

I'm confused.  You use the clothing templates as a guide for making textures to create your clothing items.  The templates are not part of the final texture.  I think you are asking how to make a texture for a clothing item.........but you don't apply that texture to the template.

Do you understand layers in Photoshop and how to manipulate them to get the results you want?  You seem to not understand that part...........I may be wrong (if so, please correct me).  Try Googling clothing making in Photoshop for SL..........there are tons of tutorials.

I use GIMP so any questions specific to Photoshop I can't answer.......but layers, alpha channels, and actually creating a texture are exactly the same no matter what image editor you use.  Only the method of getting there is different according the the specific program.

I understand about layers, alpha channels, etc. Let me try to explain further. You buy a prim skirt that comes with the base skirt and the actual prim skirt right? The base has a pattern/design/texture that matches the prim skirt. I want to add a pattern to the base skirt psd before uploading it because otherwise I will not be able to texture it in-world since the template will be placed in the fabric area of the pants. I apologize if I am not being clear.

Okay.  I think I know now what you are asking.  You have your template open in your editor.  Then you open the layer(s) that comprise your texture pattern.........I call that my fabric layer(s).  Using the template you draw, distort, set opacity, or otherwise manipulate your textures to how you want to create the final look for your fabric.  Once that is done I always do a save at my editor's native format (xcf for me and for you that would be psd).  That way you have everything saved including all your layers in case you want to come back and modify later or correct some error.  Then I'll reduce the resolution to 512 by 512 pixels if I'm working at a larger resolution (which I do........I work at 1024 by 1024).   Next I turn off visibility for the layers that I do not want included in my fabric such as all the template layers and any layers I might have made to use to create my fabric but not necessary for the fabric.  You can delete those layers if you like (you have a copy saved with everything so deleting them will not cause you loose them).  Apply any alpha channels (I'm not sure how you do that in Photoshop but in GIMP you simply activate the layer(s) containing any alpha channel and click "apply").  Then use "save as", give it a name, select TGA for the format and save.  Make sure the color depth is set at 32 bits.

You're ready for uploading now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.