What happened to the pictures at login?

Hassa Softpaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For a long time, when I double click on SL to bring up the viewer, the log in page had a nice picture from second life, various locations, and it was always different each time I loaded the viewer to log in.  Now, all I get is blank/ black screen.  I can still see the status info in the top right (stats, number of people logged in, the date, etc.), as well as other status info to the left.  And, of course, the log in boxes, and the viewer version in the lower right corner.  But the nice SL pictures are gone!  They've been missing for about a month... maybe more, maybe less.

Can someone tell me how to get them back?

12 answers to this question

Hi, Rage.

Thank you for your suggestion.  It didn't work, however.  I clear that, and the network cache at least once a day.  But, I tried again anyway. LOL.. No luck so far.

I'm using (and HAVE always been using) the most recent Release Candidate viewer.

Any other suggestions?

Ewer,

Just tried the regular client, Snowglobe and Snowglobe FE. Only the last one doesn't give me the nice login screens.

As a reminder... those images actually come from the SL website so it 'might' be possible they are not at the location the client is looking at.

Hope this helps

Thank you, Bo.

I use only the release candidate, the SL viewer, and can't even figure out what a snow globe is LOL... but even after uninstalling and reinstalling the viewer with all the default settings, I still have no nice picture at log in.  To my knowledge, the viewer is looking in the correct place, although, if the pictures moved, I wudn't know.  If others are having the same issue (which you are not), then I could understand it.

It looks like I lost the pictures after the last viewer update... hmmmm.

Any other suggestions?

Do you see a link in the upper right corner that says "Turn BG Images ON"?  I'm using Emerald, but I think that was also an option in the normal SL viewer, as well.  And now that you mention it, I'm not getting any images today, either.  I know I saw them yesterday, and I didn't turn BG Images off.  Turning them on isn't helping right now, either.  Maybe SL is glitchy today.  (I know, I know...hard to believe.  But there's even lag now and again... )

As for Snowglobe, it's another viewer:  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Snowglobe

Um... thank you again!

I tried all the clearing of all the cache types... nothing worked.

So.....i downloaded this SNOWGLOBE thing... and guess what?  I have log in pictures now... LOL.. so it must be something wrong with the other viewer.  If anyone knows of another idea, that'd be good!  I want my viewer back LOL

Ewer,

Ewer.Short wrote:

So.....i downloaded this SNOWGLOBE thing... and guess what?  I have log in pictures now... LOL.. so it must be something wrong with the other viewer. 

Well they don't call it a release 'candidate' for nothing *grins*

I want my viewer back LOL

I'll agree with anyone that the RC's have the latest technology onboard, but it doesn't always make them better then the actual release version. In fact, if you want specific functionality from the RC viewer, try looking around at the other viewers... They might have what you need. You can find a nice list at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Alternate_viewers.

Last but not least, don't worry too much about the pictures. Like I said, they come from the website and the viewer just downloads one to show...

Cheers

Hi, Bo.

Although the original viewer problem was not resolved, you DID provide a solution... another viewer! LOL... Snowglobe seems to be working fine, and honestly looks very close to what I had anyways.

So, I marked your post as the answer...indirectly, the RC viewer could be buggy, meaning your solution was the best 

Ewer....I have been having the same problem with the log in pictures...don't mind losing the pictures, but concerned it may mean something else is wrong. I have another issue that may, in fact, be related...I get a black, blank search results window when I do a search. As much as I like some of the new viewer features, it is essentially useless if I can't do searches.

Leeorie

Hi, Leeorie Thank u for replying to my post!!!  I hope u get ur issue resolved, cuz wow, i have no clue on that!  sorry!  My regular viewer is still working, but the pictures have been gone LOL... I finally gave up trying to figure it out, and just accepted it I guess.  I refuse to use 2.0 until it's forced on me, because I tried it..  I gave it a week of playing with it, and found it to be big, clunky, gawdy looking crap that is hard to navigate, and causes me to crash and lock up.  I'm shocked they made this the default for new sign ups!  WOW.  Anyway, having the log in pictures aint THAT important LOL!

Best of luck with your issue.

SMILES

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.