Cut Path

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure anyone else is having this problem. Took a 10x10 .5 thick prim and cut path on B to .5 and the prim changes colors it looks shaded. If I add a texture the same thing still looks dark. If I go over .5 or just under .5 on the cut the prim looks normal again.

Reminds me of MATBUG-228, which says there's a fix, but which is still present in latest official viewer. However, I can't reproduce the effect on a cube from your description. In fact the original bug happens whenever the dimple (for sphere) or the profile cut (for torus) is just approaching the location of a vertex where it intersects the profile (within 0.003 before it hits the vertex). So it's something going wrong with the normal calculation when the gap gets very small. I don't think cuts of a box work the same way, in which case it can't be exactly the same thing.

Did you flip it over and look at the under side. Laying down flat I never noticed it but soons as I flipped it over I was like what the heck. I kept turning it back and forth flipping it and theres a big difference. I also tried it on a different sim and a different avi on the 2nd pc still the same effect.

I managed to cause the issue your having once but can't get it to trigger again.  for me it happened at 0.4999   When it happened I was moving the cut setting back and forth over the 0.5 mark and could see a darker shading flicker on and off the finial it stuck for a while.  The darker color looked like a shading issue to me. you might try turning advance lighting on and off to see what happens,  All so try an other viewer to see if it's a viewer issue.  I tested it on firestorm. 

OK. I got it now. It's on the bottom side. I'm sure it's the same bug now. Here is a picture with a local light to emphasise the effect. The lighting is correct up to B=0.495, then wrong (dark) at 0.496 to 0.499. Then it's right again at B=0.500. This is exactly the same range (veretex pos -0.04 to veretex pt -0.01) as with the effect described in the jira. The wireframes below show the small triangles at these B settings. I can't see the effect on the normals with the normals display, as that doesn't want to show the normals for the relevant face at all. So it looks like it's the same calculation error that happens when some limit is reached. This is simpler than the dimple case and should make it easier to find. I will make another jira after seeing if I can find it in the source code.

badshade.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.