Anyone know why the scheduled and/or unscheduled maintenance is happening so frequently recently?

Kumi Crazyboi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know that it is probably part of updating systems but it is odd that there seems to be unscheduled a few days before scheduled with the unscheduled causing havok for 6-12 hours at a time. I am just wondering if anyone knows exactly what is going on or how long will this continue? Will it be a week or 2 every month for the next couple months? Is this going to be happening for the next year? In my 4 years of being a part of SL I really don't remember anything like this happening for so long. I also do not login in daily for the last couple years so maybe I have just missed some previous times this has happened. There have been times where things get messed up but I don't remember having it every couple weeks for months at a time.

I know things will eventually get better. Heck, I remember having my entire inventory go missing for over a week in the past. All I had was what was on my avi. All my lindens were gone. It eventually got fixed though and things were back to normal for a while. As normal as it gets for SL that is :P

3 answers to this question

Kumi, you seem to be missing the "un" in "unscheduled". When something unexpected happens, you don't immediately know exactly what's going on, nor how long it will take to fix. And you're even less likely to know if the unexpected happened to Linden Lab services and you (like me and the rest here in Answers) are residents, not insiders.

Today seems to have been a hot mess, but I don't think SL has been particularly less reliable than I've experienced over the last six years. Depending on my mood, I vacillate between wondering how SL survives the incompetence of Linden Lab and wondering how those LL magicians make something as wonderful and mysterious as SL work at all.

• Like 1

Madeline, you seem to be missing the fact that "unscheduled" is consistently happening a few days before "scheduled". It's been happening at least one week in each of the last couple months if not multiple weeks per month. I also fully understand that the people posting here are other users not insiders. I was only wondering if some one had read something I had not seen.

Given that scheduled maintenance happens almost every Tuesday, unscheduled maintenance would have no choice but to be between 1 and 6 days before. Unscheduled maintenance of one sort or another has been happening since the day I arrived. I've not noticed, either directly, via the grid status page, nor via queries here, that the system is increasingly unreliable of late. Here's the last six months of grid instability info...

http://taterunino.net/statcharts/instability182.jpg

Last week's outage is shown, as is a slight increase in the worst outages recently. But the overall instability isn't markedly worse.

And your missing inventory was more likely a viewer issue than a server side issue. So your week of missing inventory may have been the result of a viewer code glitch or connection error that lasted a fraction of a second. The grid itself was probably operating "normally" during that time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.