Avastar pose baking

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having an annoying problem with avastar. I just updated it to dev_745 but no luck.

I add an avastar to blender, load up the shape for XXS size that had saved up and then go into pose mode. From front view, I rotate the arms to 45 degrees, so that they're half way down, and then copy-paste that position to the other side. Then I select all pose animation and I want to make this the "default" pose used for transfering weights and parenting armatures. So I click the botton "bake bone pose" and it simply doesn't work well.

What happens is that it twists the arm outwards (so that the palm of the hand it facing the front) and the angle of the arm is not at 45 anymore.

There IS a warning on the avastar button that we should use this with caution, but I remember this system working in earlier versions of avastar. You could bake any pose to rest pose and use it as reference for parenting.

What am I missing?

Gaia? Help? ^.^

I'm having an annoying problem with avastar. I just updated it to dev_745 but no luck.

I add an avastar to blender, load up the shape for XXS size that had saved up and then go into pose mode. From front view, I rotate the arms to 45 degrees, so that they're half way down, and then copy-paste that position to the other side. Then I select all pose animation and I want to make this the "default" pose used for transfering weights and parenting armatures. So I click the botton "bake bone pose" and it simply doesn't work well.

What happens is that it twists the arm outwards (so that the palm of the hand it facing the front) and the angle of the arm is not at 45 anymore.

There IS a warning on the avastar button that we should use this with caution, but I remember this system working in earlier versions of avastar. You could bake any pose to rest pose and use it as reference for parenting.

What am I missing?

Gaia? Help? ^.^

hi;

first... dev-745 is from stone age :matte-motes-sunglasses-1: You should try avastar-1057 ...

Your problem could be that you have already an armature modifier on your mesh and you try to add another one ?

One more note on the "bake restpose" thing. this is an awkward function actually. This function "bends" your mesh into T-pose, then freezes the mesh in that pose. So actually "bake to rest pose" modifies your mesh. thats why we warn you.

Why do I always install the wrong version of avastar....*sigh*

Ok, 1057 is now installed and running. So let me start from the very beggining.

I made a mesh using Marvelous Designer. I like the idea of their default avatar having its arms slightly lower, instead of in t-form. It's easier to model clothes with. So I took avastar, positioned it with the arms rotates at 45 and saved it as an obj, to then use as a model for Marvelous Designer.

Now I have my piece of clothing in blender. And I want to rig it. So I need to position the avastar bones again in a 45 angle positon. And this is where I get stuck with the parenting. I know there's some step I'm missing here.

When you already HAVE weights on your mesh, then it is easy:

• You pose the Avastar character with arms at 45 degree (to match your mesh)
  • Select the Armature and your custom mesh in Object mode
  • Open the tool shelf and find the "Skinning & Rigging" section
  • Enable "Alter to Rest Pose"
  • Set the weight mwthod to "Keep"
  • Click the Button "Assign Armature"

That should do the trick.

When you do NOT have initial weights pn your object, then you do this:

• You pose the Avastar character with arms at 45 degree (to match your mesh)
  • Select the Armature and your custom mesh in Object mode
  • Open the tool shelf and find the "Skinning & Rigging" section
  • Enable "Alter to Rest Pose"
  • Set the weight method to "Meshes"
  • Click the Button "Assign Armature"

But you must know that the quality of the result might be much less acurate because the copie weights might not be optimized for your mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.