Ambient oclusion and Normals

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone. I thknk I might be having some problems with normals? I'm trying to bake ambient oclusion onto my mesh and some parts of it get a strange grainny effect. Also, the effect isn't confined to one full face of the mesh, it goes through (as if painted on). Not sure what this is.

help me.png

Hello everyone. I thknk I might be having some problems with normals? I'm trying to bake ambient oclusion onto my mesh and some parts of it get a strange grainny effect. Also, the effect isn't confined to one full face of the mesh, it goes through (as if painted on). Not sure what this is.

help me.png

Looks like you have a high enough sample, but you can check normalize under bake and it will make it all a lot more white.. I don't know how else to explain it :P 

Anyhow its easier to multiply it into the new texture if you bake a normalized map

I also see in your pictures a sortb of banding effect that looks like a problem with the UV map. When two edge loops get placed on topm of each other in the UV map. then the surface between them gets textured with a single pixel at each point that is stretched to a horizontal/vertical line. here's an example of a cylinder, with the left hand one having the usual UV map (top) and the right hand one having two sets of edge loops superimposed with a small gap between, as shown in the lower UV map. The dotted lines show how the loops were moved. Used just a cloud texture to illustrate the effect.

xuv.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.