How do I use the button with the pipette symbol in the SL viewer's color picker?

Marck Kjeller

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In the Edit window, under the Texture tab, I can  get to the color picker for selecting a color. On this dialog window, there is a  button with a pipette (or dropper) symbol. I had expected this button to allow me to pick a color from  anywhere on my screen or inside the SL viewer but when I tried, then I couldn't  see it doing anything at all. So how am I supposed to use this  button?

1 answer to this question

Sorry Marck, the eye dropper is not that cool   It will only pick up tints, the color next to the texture swatch in the edit box's texture tab. Only a few things use those tints.

All is not lost, there is another way! Unhide the Advanced menu, show it with Control-Alt-D, and then do Advanced, UI, Show Color Under Cursor.  The RGB numbers will show at the bottom right of your screen near the sound controls in tiny white numbers. Type the first three numbers you see in the Red Green Blue spaces of the color window and you ought to have it.

If you  are on a Mac, you can use the regular SL Preferences, General tab, "Use default system color picker". The magnifying glass icon from that color picker will do the right thing.  Turn that option back off if you really want the SL tint later.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.