Unable to log

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone had a problem logging onto second life? I recently bought a new computer. It was fine at first and now I shuts my computer down seconds after i log on. Whats going on? My comp is not overheating, I have uninstalled and reinstalled various viewers and still the same thing.  Here are my stats from my comp. Anyone have any suggestions? I really want to get back on SL.

x79 mother board, gtx 780 vid card, 4820K cpu, 16 gigs of quad channel memory and a 1000 watt AZZA titan 80 plus gold power supply.

That is a sweet system spec Shade....It should run SL wonderfully.

OK, what you are saying is that the system is actually shutting down when you start up the SecondLife viewer, shortly after login?

This speaks to hardware incompatibility or a graphics card overheat and a fail-safe mode of shutting down the PC to protect it. OK try loading the SL Viewer and edit your preferences 1st. Try sliding the Graphics quality to the mid way position and try to login again..

This is just to diagnose the system and the effect the SL Viewer has on it. If that allows you to SL for a bit longer, then my advise is:

1) Turn off any overclocking when running SL;

2) Start adjusting the slider up one level at a time to retest till you find the level that start this behaviour.

Once this is known you can test the next level features one at a time until you find the specific issue taking you down.

I'm of course assuming you have the latest drivers for your GC from Nvidia and all the most current OS patches applied.

P.S. - My Techie daughter told me you could have a defective component on your rig and should run a good total system checker that also will burn in a high end graphics card as well. Passmark makes some free software that can do this for you.

I downloaded the pasmark burn in test. It says there are no errors. I am at a loss.  My graphics card drive is up to date. I will try scaling back the graphics card driver to see if that works. I have never had this issue before with any of my other comps. I have been on SL now for almost 7 years. I will hate to not be able to enjoy SL as I have made many friends there. And thanks for the suggestions. And I know its not overheating as I ran a test for that too.

Shade Indigo wrote:

I downloaded the pasmark burn in test. It says there are no errors. I am at a loss.  My graphics card drive is up to date. I will try scaling back the graphics card driver to see if that works. I have never had this issue before with any of my other comps. I have been on SL now for almost 7 years. I will hate to not be able to enjoy SL as I have made many friends there. And thanks for the suggestions. And I know its not overheating as I ran a test for that too.

I can understand your frustration - That is a kick-ass PC you have there. Question:

What kind of power off event are you experiencing?

1) PC Reboots - This is definitely a hardware incompatibility issue. SL is simply the triggering software. Look in your systems Event Viewer log for a clue as to the cause of the reboot. [These used to be preceded by the infamous [bSOD] Blue Screen of Death messages.

2) System Power Down - Unrequested System Power Downs are 99% of the time driver or software requested. the SL viewer does not possess any of this code so  it comes down to the Video Card drivers issuing this request for some unknown reason. Look in your systems Event Viewer log for a clue as to the cause of the reboot.

In either case, the System Event log should show you  the originating system module and the related modules preceding this event.  Look in the log named System and the log named after the Graphics Card. High end graphics cards usually maintain their own system log.

Also, can you hear the system fans racing up at all before this event occurs? You may have tripped over a bug in your new GC's driver code. Possibly regressing to a past release of the GC driver will cure this issue for now.

I had to buy a new monitor for my new comp. Its a 27 inch and I just checked and there was a driver update for it. I installed that and I hope that is the problem. I did try adjusting the resolution down from the max to see if that helps. Oh and what happens is the whole computer shuts down and restarts again. I will check the event log too. Thanks again Karen. I will post an update later. :-)

Shade Indigo wrote:

I had to buy a new monitor for my new comp. Its a 27 inch and I just checked and there was a driver update for it. I installed that and I hope that is the problem. I did try adjusting the resolution down from the max to see if that helps. Oh and what happens is the whole computer shuts down and restarts again. I will check the event log too. Thanks again Karen. I will post an update later. :-)

Oh this is good information as well. OKies I'm taking a wild guess here - Are you using the HDMI cable connection option to your monitor? For video and media related streaming this is a great choice. However, when asking your GC to process 3D Graphics, the HDMI interlace may not be the best connection option I've been reading as of late. The traditional DVI or VGA connectors may serve you better and help with this issue..Try those connection options when using Second Life.

Well that driver installation isn't the problem as it shut down again. The event viewer says its a kernel power 41 incident with a task category 63. After looking this up there is no definitive answer to the problem it would seem. I suppose my SL days may be numbered.

Shade Indigo wrote:

Well that driver installation isn't the problem as it shut down again. The event viewer says its a kernel power 41 incident with a task category 63. After looking this up there is no definitive answer to the problem it would seem. I suppose my SL days may be numbered.

Read my previous post please :D

Also this thread is very telling...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/46250-63-random-restarts-critical-kernel-power-event-task

The PSU [Power Supply] was at fault for one of these folks. It only happens when you tax the machine as SL it want to do. [high demand for electrical current to both the MB CPU & GC GPUs] If you built this yourself and if the PSU is still under warrantee it's worth a try.

SL is not by it's design a PC killer - Basically SL is acting at a ultimate hardware test in your configuration. The earlier stress test probably does not exercise the GPU to 80% or 90% during the testing so the PSU doesn't get a proper stress test until you run something tough and the PSU has to deliver more current.

It is still happening.

Here is my event log if that helps. It doesn't list it on here but the event also says its a type 63.

- System

- Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2014-04-29T00:44:37.310054100Z

EventRecordID 10790

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4
      [ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer  

- Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0
    BugcheckParameter1 0x0
    BugcheckParameter2 0x0
    BugcheckParameter3 0x0
    BugcheckParameter4 0x0
    SleepInProgress false
    PowerButtonTimestamp 0

• 2 weeks later...

Ok..the problem has continued to occur. I contacted the company my comp is from and they had me run some stress tests on my cpu and vid card. My cpu passed with flying colors as it ran for over an hour maxed out. My vid card crashed and shut down my comp only after 30 seconds. They will be sending a new vid card in the mail. I will keep you posted and let you know how sl performs when I install the new card!  Thanks for all the advice and sorry for doubting any one who suggested it was the vid card. :-)

Shade Indigo wrote:

Ok..the problem has continued to occur. I contacted the company my comp is from and they had me run some stress tests on my cpu and vid card. My cpu passed with flying colors as it ran for over an hour maxed out. My vid card crashed and shut down my comp only after 30 seconds. They will be sending a new vid card in the mail. I will keep you posted and let you know how sl performs when I install the new card!  Thanks for all the advice and sorry for doubting any one who suggested it was the vid card. :-)

I'm just tickled to hear that you got the issue under control and a solution is in-route to you.

See ya in-world.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.