llMessageLinked with two adjacent objects

LissomePrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am probably doing something really stupid here but ...

I have created two dance balls (male and female) that support multiple avatars via individual scripts with messages passed via llMessageLinked.

If the balls are close to each other scripts on both respond when I touch one dance ball. If I move them far enough apart the problem disappears. There must be a scripting solution I presume.

Calls are of the form:

llMessageLinked(LINK_THIS,z,mes,NULL_KEY);

which I hoped would restrict where the messages went.

Any suggestions?

If the balls are not linked to each other, there is no way that they can be hearing each other's llMessageLinked commands.  Even if they were linked, you have limited the range of the commands by using LINK_THIS, so each script should only be sending messages to other scripts in the same prim.  Therefore, your problem has to do with something else that you are doing .... perhaps a llSay command that the other ball is listening to?

LissomePrey wrote:

I have created two dance balls (male and female) that support multiple avatars via individual scripts with messages passed via llMessageLinked.

If the balls are close to each other scripts on both respond when I touch one dance ball. If I move them far enough apart the problem disappears. There must be a scripting solution I presume.

Calls are of the form:

llMessageLinked(LINK_THIS,z,mes,NULL_KEY);

This message linked is restricted to the prim the script is in and can't be picked up in another prim, linked or not

I would take a closer look at the touch

For linked prims a touch on a child prim may be passed on to the root prim. See llPassTouches

It is hard to be exact not knowing how the balls are linked and in which prims (child/root) the scripts are and what the scripts are supposed to do

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.