Second Life on the iPad . . . Finally

Krueger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Has anyone else started to access Second life on their iPad yet?

I began over Christmas.  I work from home and tend to spend long hours in my home office here.  During Christmas, I wanted to spend more time away from work and with my family, but I still wanted to log into SL and check on things.  I'd heard you could access SL remotely (tablet to computer to SL), so I looked into it.

It works incredibly well.  If anyone else wants to try, you need a Splashtop 2 app.

Is anyone else doing this?  What are your results?

Yes i've been doing this for a long time.  It's exceptionally good.  I use it from tablet or mobile phone or PC.  In fact the performance using a laptop with intel integrated graphics is worse when using a local viewer than when I use it to access my "proper" PC with good hardware.

You're absolutely right: my wife uses a fairly mid-range laptop to access SL, and the performace on my iPad - accessing SL via a high-end PC - is significantly better.  It's just a shame the app isn't, seemingly, up to the task of creating.  I won't complain, though.  A lot of my time in SL is just spend chatting and exploring.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not up to the task of creating"?  That's surely just because of the way the ipad handles the user interface.

I can do it just fine through my HTC phone  phone but to do it properly, I pair it with a bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse and output to a monitor/TV via the HTC One X wireless media streamer thingy.  When done this way, i've got all the normal SL functions in the normal way.  There's no problem creating anything. :matte-motes-nerdy:

Haha . . . obviously if you attach devices to the iPad (or, in your case, phone) you have the same creating facilities.  All you're doing is accessing a remote computer.  It's essentially no different than hooking in a keyboard and mouse to your PC rig.  So, you're missed the point, I think.  The point being - if you simply use a table (or phone) creating with Splashtop is hindered.  Aside from that, though, it works very well otherwise!

I would hate for you to think I was nitpicking, but you're still missing the point.  You see, the app itself is limited when it comes to creating (even if we ignore issues of FPS).  The iPad (in my case) and the app COMBINED do, however, descrease - perhaps even nullify - the limitation.

For example: Win 8 allows me to connect to the internet, and does so well, but it requires the combination of Windows 8 and a keyboard and mouse.  You see?

The point that you're overlooking is that most people who use Splashtop won't go ahead and buy the necessary accessories to make it a more robust meschanism for SL creating.  Making the app limited for creating in SL.

:D

I'm still not mising the point, it's not the app that's the problem it's the iPad.  I use Splashtop on a PC, I use it on my phone and I use it on an Asus Transformer Pad (tablet) which has a detachable keyboard with trackpad.

Your iPad is the problem, lacking the bits you need, not the app itself! :)

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.