Maya, Faces, Uploading (New to learning)

RavenSkye Waverider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I have been slowly taking time to learn 3D stuff and modeling with Maya. I have been able to make a few very minor things to upload, just to see how it comes out.

I spend a lot of time on beta grid.

So, here is my situation. Trying to make something a bit more "complicated" I guess, to get a bit more into understanding. So, I decided to make a multi frame setup. The frames and inner frames are all the same face/material in Maya. The picture areas are all different materials thus making different faces.

The picture blow, the 3 top images in it, I seperated the faces in colors just for myself so I could figure this out a bit. However, when it uploads, it looks like some of the faces are missing.

The bottom right however, is if I made all those inner faces the same material and upload just fine. Heck, I can even take just one of the "working" materials and put it on the not working ones, and leave the other working ones as they were as seperate and it still uploads right. However, seperate again, ends up like the middle.

These are seperate objects, combined. It was fine at one point but I realized I messed up an edge and had to go reface the area that was glitched and then it ended up like just this... constantly. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to work properly. I even took the bottom right frame, made a copy and added, but when I tried to upload the whole combined project, it says there are no meshes assigned. If I take that one away again, it goes back to the above issue.

Learning on my own, have made some interesting stuff (not uploaded because they were too big). So, proud of what I have learned to do, but getting to the SL point has been frustrating. I still need to understand more complicated UV mapping later... not sure what to think of this situation though.

grr copy.png

Any help/advise would be wonderful. I been wrangling this all night because I am stubborn and a self learner until I nearly throw my computer lol

~Raven

Jordanit0 is right.  You can only have 8 faces per single mesh object.  So you are using two faces, one for black and one for white, for the frames which leaves you only 6 faces for the colored inner part.

Once you learn how to do UVs you could make the black and white areas of the frames 1 face and use a texture to color them.  That would save you 1 face.

You could also do the same thing for the colored inner parts.  So say you wanted a different image in each frame.  You could combine 4 images in Photoshop.  One image in the upper left, one in the upper right, one in the lower right and one in the lower left corners.  THen you place the UVs for 4 different colored part over the corresponding part of the image you want to show.  This way the 4 images would be one face.

Hope that helps. :D
Heather

Ok here.. is another situation. I cut it down to 4 boxes (frames) which made for 6 faces. Though earlier I could upload the big mass and faces were missing, I can't even get to that now.

I can upload each one individually but if I make 4, which was 6 faces, combine them in maya and try to upload it.. I get this. And I looked for this issue but never understood or able to use the solutions.

This is frustrating, I got all happy I figured out a minor issue to now being stuck with this problem when it was working earlier. I have done this on both Firestorm and LL official viewer. Same issues, Same goes with the previous images above that I tried to reupload. I can't even upload that.

mesherror.PNG

Though I have not had this happen to myself when uploading I have seen a few threads on here with similar problems and I believe if memory serves me well what they did was export the file as an obj then open that obj up in there program of choice then export out again as dae. 

No idea if this will help you but its worth a try.  Hoping you get this sorted :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.