Objects Disproportionate When Exported from Maya to SL

Anairah Galicia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put together a calendar using Maya 2013. No NURBs were used in the build. I froze tranforms and deleted all history before using the DAE_FBX exporter. In SL, everything looks fine except for three staples which I've circled in red [see images]. They're wildly out of proportion. The staples were made by bending a cylinder. I've resized and remade the staples several times with no change in the end result.

Out of curiosty, I made a new scene and added a cylinder atop a thin cube. I exported to SL to find that the cube has thickened drastically.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas towards a solution will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Calendar.pngStaple Closeup.pngStaples.pngIn SL.pngTest.pngTest in SL.png

I guess the staples are separate objects? There is a minimum dimension of 0.01m (1cm). If you upload an object with a smaller dimension, it will be stretched to that size. The solution here is to make the staples part of the same object as the rest. If you ever really need such small objects, then you can add some extra geometry to fill the space and texture it with default transparent texture so that it's not visible.

Staples, rivets and such (smallish geometric embellishments) I have found to be best represented with a texture depiction (and normal maps give us so much more latitude in this!)  than with a geometrical mesh realization. I only say that because no one is likely to zoom in on a staple on your calendar and find their experiance is enriched to find some mesh-defined "staple" rather than a textural depiction of a staple "if the light had hit it just so".

If nothing else, it will save you considerable time in making your LODs, where a texture is just a texture but your geometry must be accounted for at all times.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3870 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.