Wrong axis position after export from Cinema 4D to collada and import mesh in Second Life.

RedDaemons

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, people,

this is my first post and I hesitate a lot before post. I am having a problem and I thought I could solve for myself. But I failed. So, I started to look for a solution for the last 15 days. Unsuccessfully.

Sorry, really sorry, if it is a re-post or an old question, but I was unable to find a solution in Google or other forums.

But, after 15 day, I have no more time.

Everytime I export my mesh from Cinema 4D the axis has changed into Second Life. I am gonna be crazy. Please, see the pics and comprove.

Axis in Cinema 4
Axis in Cinema 4D

Axis in Second Life after import the mesh
axis_in_sl.png

I did everything I know and so many tips found in internet... but I can´t solve it.

Please, if someone have any light, I will appreciate a lot.

Really, so sorry, cuz I have absolutely idea that is a common and old issue in SL, but I am too much noob to solve.

Thank you in advance

This is a problem with all things with an odd number of sides. The center used in the 3D program, and in the collada, is ignored by SL. Instead, it always uses the center of the bounding box. However you may rotate the propeller, that is never at its center. This situation is shown on the left of the picture. The solution* is to add an extra triangle, as shown in blue on the right, to make the centers coincide. Here, this is a copy of the opposite blade tip rotated 180 degrees around the propeller center. To make the extra triangle invisible, assign the extra triangle to a different material, and after rezzing, change its texture to "Default transparent" from the library.

propeller2.png

Medhue Simoni, thank for your tip. I am sure it will be very usefull in others situations and I will remember. Thank you so much.

Drongle McMahon, I got it! Understood the concept. An element with an odd number of sides never make a perfect square, so Second Life never interpret it. The small trick will make a perfect square, cheating the Second Life.

Actually, I would never figure it out because it is a little trick and is not described in any manual or tutorial that I may have read.

Really thanks Drongle McMahon. I will test and put the results here!

Perhaps I should add that the ability to offset the object's geometry origin (center/pivot) has been a feature request since before mesh was released. The developers did make one attempt to provide this, but it ran into (unknown) problems, and it was dropped. I have no idea whether it will ever be added, but I wouldn't be too hopeful. Since there is an easy work-around, it is unlikely ever to get a high priority.

Drongle McMahon,

maybe i missed something? Look these pics. In C4D, the blades are absolutely centered (object and axis) according to the center of the square. The square is geometricaly perfect (114cm). I complete the diference with a small piece.

So I exported only the blades and the small piece.. but SL continue to change the axis position.

Look in C4D

all_centered.png

Now look the result in Second Life:

not_center_sl.png

Maybe I missed something?

Thank you

Yes. My fault for missing it from the explanation... You have exported the extra piece as a separate object. That ends up as a linkset in SL, in which each of the two meshes have their own centers. The extra piece has to be part of the same mesh for this to work, not a separate object. I don't know C4D. So I can't give you the steps to combine them, but that is what you need to do (or add the extra to the propeller mesh to start with).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.