Convertion SLM ?

Sati Lumet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sati Lumet wrote:

hi Everyone

is it possible , to somehow import an SLM file into Blender ?

Since the SLM file contains information for a specific mesh upload into Second Life in a compressed format, it's conceivably possible.

However, it would be the same as importing a jpeg into photoshop instead of a psd file- you'd have a picture but none of the information that is necessary to continue to work on the file further.

The question intrigues me. As far as I know, the only way to get an slm file is to uploade a dae file. In that case, whoever has the slm file must also have the dae file, and the dae file can be imported into Blender to work on the mesh, if that were the only intention. However, the actual data is not the same. For example, any quads in the dae file will have been converted into triangles. Normals may have been changed. Importing the slm file would therefore be interesting from the point of view of finding out the details of the exact way the uploader interprets the collada. An slm importer might be a useful tool in diagnosing some mesh upload problems.

thanks for the reply, there should be a plugin or something for importing SLM into Blender

and even if its compressed , should be compressed lossless and if it is so, then it makes no diffrence

if DAE or SLM If the compression methode is not lossless then  the mesh may be screwed up , after loading it up into SL

so I would guess, if it really is compressed, then for sure lossless

You've made me curious as well now and I certainly see the benefit it would have as a forensic tool.

However, if I ever got around to developing such a converter, I'd be very careful how I shared it, since there may be other ways to generate a SLM file other than uploading ones own mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.