Collision Bones.

Frawmusl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the concept of rigging to collision bones is really neat, but there are just a lot of issues with it. I want to sort of get some pointers and notes. I figure with a full avatar design collision would be awesome, since there wouldnt be any clothes going through the other etc and you would be able to customize it slightly. So Im just sort of wondering where are the collision bones good to use in making clothing, and where I should avoid? And is just using the default skeleton going to give me better overall results, or is using the smallest standard size, or the largest standard size? Should I displace it slightly off the avatar, Do customers mind that their clothes are always hovering ever so slightly? Skin tight? Then I face the collision being off slightly and bleeding through in places? 
Can you point me in the right direction with this? I feel collision bones would save a lot of time and effort in making standard sizes. Maybe its just recommended to do standard sizes in the end? Anyhow. Let me know your two cents!

I have no answers to your questions, only more questions!

Such as if you have a full mesh avatar that is rigged to the collision bones and you try to attach something that is also rigged to collision bones, what would happen?

Good luck, I would like to see more people play with the collision bones for science so that I can continue to be lazy and learn from the sidelines. Unfortunately, my main concern is that LL will remove them at some point or replace them with something else, or change how they work. There's no guarantees here, so I'd only make items for personal use with such a "feature".

Well I can answer that as I have already experimented with that a bit :P If you make a full avi to collision bones and then make clothing for it also rigged to the same collision bones and modeled around the avi the clothing will fit as the person adjust the sliders. The downside to collision bones is the shapes you don't account for, IE the other sliders that can't be attached. So thats why custom avis work well with them and custom clothing, the sliders that would make the avi fatter etc and not fit the clothes such as the default have are unable to be seen on a custom avi with collision sliders. So custom avi with custom clothes rigged to collision = yes, Custom avi with standard collision clothes = no, Default avi with collision = maybe.. I just can't seem to figure out how to get it perfect. Maybe thats why theres only a few "tests" our there such as redpoly's but its not a widely adopted feature?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.