Spec Double-Check

LaserGuided

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That's far from a complete hardware spec for your laptop.

That's not even the name of a GPU. That's one of Intel's graphics architectures as far as I know.

I'd say just try it; It won't cost you a penny to do so. The answer you will get from attempting to move around will be more informative than anything we have to say.

I'm using a Linux laptop with these hardware specs:

Oh my. Please don't tell me you bought a Linux laptop, one specifically made for Linux. :smileysurprised: These things, as offered by System 76 and similar con artists suppliers, are major rip-offs. Modern Linuxes are designed to run on all kind of crappy, outdated hardware. It's no rocket science putting some hardware into a laptop barebone, calling it "Made for Linux" and slapping a higher pricetag on it. Why are ppl still falling for that old trick?

We have different Linuxes running on my desktop and 3 laptops. None of them was specifically built with Linux in mind. And guess what, no hardware incompatibilities at all.

Congrats. I'm using a 64-bit Linux as well (Mint Debian, Cinnamon desktop) and it's such a good OS and feels good to be finally rid of commercial crap.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4

That's cool although not important for SL. Any halfways modern proci (built after 2006) should do the trick.

GPU: Intel® Ivybridge Mobile

Huh? That's your GPU??? Let me hazard a guess: you're either on Intel HD 3000 or 4000. Hardly sufficient to run SL in a satisfying way but should work just so-so in a very limited way.

Resolution: 1366x768

Insignificant.

Orca Flotta wrote:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4

That's cool although not important for SL. Any halfways modern proci (built after 2006) should do the trick.

Seriously? A 2006 dual core, as found in my old computer is just as good as my one year old 3770k which is benchmarked a full ten times higher? Nonsense and you know it.

GPU: Intel® Ivybridge Mobile

Huh? That's your GPU??? Let me hazard a guess: you're either on Intel HD 3000 or 4000. Hardly sufficient to run SL in a satisfying way but should work just so-so in a very limited way.

If you don't use any of the fancy shaders, a simple GPU, including a HD4000 should perform just fine. Read the thread about the tablet thing for example. I wouldn't want to enter a club with one of those, but then again I don't want to do that in the first place :)

Resolution: 1366x768

Insignificant.

Depends on what's the bottleneck in system performance. Higher resolution, higher VRAM use. HD would be twice the amount of pixels. I agree it's not as significant as gpu or cpu.

Seriously? A 2006 dual core, as found in my old computer is just as good as my one year old 3770k which is benchmarked a full ten times higher? Nonsense and you know it.

Of course the latest GPUs are better, much better, than the old ones. But procis are not the bottleneck in SL. My 2006 dual core 1st gen would run SL just fine if I had more fancy graphics in that old lappy.

If you don't use any of the fancy shaders, a simple GPU, including a HD4000 should perform just fine. Read the thread about the tablet thing for example. I wouldn't want to enter a club with one of those, but then again I don't want to do that in the first place.

That's basically what I told him. HD4000 will work, just not satisfyingly. And of course I use the fancy shaders. If you do something you can as well do it right.

Depends on what's the bottleneck in system performance. Higher resolution, higher VRAM use. HD would be twice the amount of pixels. I agree it's not as significant as gpu or cpu.

It's a friggin laptop! A latptop!!! The  resolution on these things is set by the panel maker, won't make much sense to fiddle with it. That's why I said his res is insignificant.

And thank you, I was part of the tablet discussion.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Of course the latest GPUs are better, much better, than the old ones. But procis are not the bottleneck in SL. My 2006 dual core 1st gen would run SL just fine if I had more fancy graphics in that old lappy.7

If? Would? Care to back that up since I have heard this claim so many times yet am still waiting for some actual proof. The only somewhat useful test I've seen was a couple of months ago, unfortunately I can't find it. Biggest influence on performance was the clock speed of the CPU. If I remember correctly, the fps were pretty much directly related to the clock speed.

I run SL occasionally on my previous computer and I never see my GPU under a whole lot of load. The CPU is though. It's not because the GPU isn't matched with the CPU, right now it has an AMD Athlon 6000+ and seriously underclocked NVidia 9600GT.

If the GPU is the bottleneck for a lot of people, so be it, but it's not what I see plus I've never seen anything to back up the claim.

That's basically what I told him. HD4000 will work, just not satisfyingly. And of course I use the fancy shaders. If you do something you can as well do it right.

Sasisfyingly for whom? A lot of people are perfectly happy with 20fps on medium settings, so without all the fancy stuff. You made it sound like a HD4000 will disappoint anyone earlier, apparantly that's not what you meant.

It's a friggin laptop! A latptop!!! The  resolution on these things is set by the panel maker, won't make much sense to fiddle with it. That's why I said his res is insignificant.

The fact that it's not adjustable doesn't make it insignificant. If the resolution was set at 1920x1080, the thing would have needed more power for the same fps.

And thank you, I was part of the tablet discussion.

You're welcome:) (hadn't see your posts there yet)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.