CONTROL_FWD fail to trigger on sit.

Fume Millar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In control event. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Control CONTROL_FWD fait to trigger if avatar sit + pressing shift + pressing FWD.

Pressing Shift should not effect CONTROL_FWD. When Avatar is Standing up Shift+FWD will trigger CONTROL_FWD.
Standing + FWD               *Trigger
Standing + SHIFT + FWD *Trigger
Siting      + FWD               *Trigger
Siting      + SHIFT + FWD  *Fail

Even than there is no documentation on wiki that Shift+FWD should trigger. It's Highly Unexpected not to trigger CONTROL_FWD.
1.First reason is because avatar will move if Shift+FWD is pressed.
2.Second reason is that CONTROL_RIGHT and CONTROL_LEFT reguir pressing Shift and if FWD doesn't work with Shift these mostly unusable controls in many script for example in vehicles where continued FWD pressing is expected.
3.Third reason is this will work if avatar is not sitting.

Should this be Bug report or Feature request? I have never made one so I would like to know what I should do.

It would be a feature request, I think. Viewers have been configured to work this way forever.

Under each viewer's app_settings folder there will be a keys.ini or keys.xml, depending on the viewer version. The SHIFT + up/down/w/s are omitted from the sitting section.

You can add them yourself, if you like. Hopefully there will be someone at LL who remembers why it is done this way, and won't be afraid to change it.

Yes the problem you are seeing is a discrepancy in the viewer's keys.xml configuration file. While standing, the viewer will still send to the server the CONTROL_FWD and CONTROL_BACK - even if the SHIFT modifier key is being held down. Scripts will in turn be able to detect these controls. But when sitting, this will not happen.

I agree this seems inconsistent. But as Cerise pointed out, you can modify the keys.xml file for your viewer to make it send the same controls when sitting vs. standing.

The file is located at (on windows)  C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\keys.xml

Open said file in a text editor. Search for the <sitting></sitting> segment. Everything between those two tags will be your controls configuration used while your avatar is sitting. Somewhere within that block, add this segment to enable the extra controls:

<!--custom vehicle additions-->
    <binding key="W" mask="SHIFT" command="move_forward_sitting"/>
    <binding key="S" mask="SHIFT" command="move_backward_sitting"/>
    <binding key="E" mask="SHIFT" command="spin_over_sitting"/>
    <binding key="C" mask="SHIFT" command="spin_under_sitting"/>
    <binding key="UP" mask="SHIFT" command="move_forward_sitting"/>
    <binding key="DOWN" mask="SHIFT" command="move_backward_sitting"/>
    <binding key="PGUP" mask="SHIFT" command="spin_over_sitting"/>
    <binding key="PGDN" mask="SHIFT" command="spin_under_sitting"/>
    <binding key="PAD_UP" mask="SHIFT" command="move_forward_sitting"/>
    <binding key="PAD_DOWN" mask="SHIFT" command="move_backward_sitting"/>
    <binding key="PAD_PGUP" mask="SHIFT" command="spin_over_sitting"/>
    <binding key="PAD_PGDN" mask="SHIFT" command="spin_under_sitting"/>

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.