Mesh is half transparent

jordanchantell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Easy fix, depending on what program you're using. If you're in blender go into edit mode and look on the left sidebar/object tools (T) and hit A to select all then recalculate normals this should fix that. If it doesn't you may have to use the button right below it, flip normals which reverses the normals of a face. If you hit N and look for "normals" select face and it will show you 10cm lines that are on the normals helping you orient them and what is in the wrong direction etc..

I'm currently using Blender 2.65

See the thing is I tried to do a test on just a simple Solidify circle "ring" and then I duplicated that then flipped the normals and was able to upload it to show both sides.. but it still doesnt even make the thickness of the ring designed in blender. I get a skinny two sided circle.

Two Sided Ring

Assuming this is a mesh cylinder with "solidify" or a solidify modifier, that will give a very thing double surface, So, in effect, the solidify makes the cylinder double sided. The inside and outside have normals is opposite directions. Flipping all of them seems to have no effect because the inside and outside almost exactly in the same place. In contrast, with your ring, there was a larger gap between the inside and outside, which made the effect of the inverted normals much more obvious.

In Blender, mesh is rendered two-sided by default. You can see it one-sided either by checking either "Textured solid" or "Backface culling" on on the "Display section of the panel at the right of the 3D view. That way you can see what you are going to get in SL, and the effects of reversing the normals.

By the way, to make the ring smooth, you should select all its faces and do Mesh/Faces/Shade smooth. Using only subsurf to smooth produces excessive polygon numbers which loads the gpu unnecessarily.

A mesh surface is directional, has only 1 face. Looking at it from the other side it will appear to not be there after import.
That is normal, it is by design (in Blender this is suppressed in modelling mode so you can more easily model, in rendered view I think it is restored).

Either add the faces yourself (where needed because you can see them, or add a solidify modifier as mentioned.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.