Mesh issue pleeeease helpppp!

DISSONI

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I start for few days trying to make my own mesh clothes, but i have a HUGE problem and i really cant figure out how i can fix this..., im making my clohtes on Marvelous Designer 2 after that i import it on blender and export it as .dae, the point is.... in both Marvelous and Blender the skirt ( in this case) , looks just so fine BUT when i try to upload it on SL its like hmm i cant see the back of it like transparent... can please someone help me? i will add a picture too so u know what i mean, thanks a lot.... 1.png2.png3.png

looks like your polygons are inverted? not sure how to fix that in blender though but should helpy ou at least know what to google right?

Edit googled it myself someone posted in a forum that this is what you do: Select these faces you want to flip, then press the WKEY and in the popup select "Flip Normals".
BTW: You can check faces' orientation, when you go to Editing Buttons (F9) and there to the tab named "Mesh Tools 1", where you find the button "Draw Normals".

Those more familiar with blender might correct me if I'm wrong though

It says there are only 5798 triangles, but frankly, I think that's a bug. Looking at the edge display, I'd guess it's more in the tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.

I hate to shoot down your aspirations to create clothing for Second Life, but you can't import a file that is completely unedited from Marvelous Designer. MD It is a visualization tool, not a 3d modeling tool. It's for concept art.

You couldn't even use that mesh for a high detail animation (well, you could, but it would be ill advised).

There are topology threads here on this forum if you look. You will need to understand the contents of those before you attempt to make anything to upload on second life.

Edit: Just to address the other answers in this thread, I doubt you have normals flipped, but the proper shortcut for that is (ctrl+n) to recalculate normals. If you have flipped normals and you flip all the normals in your mesh, you'll just wind up with the same problem on the other side.

This is also clearly not a backface culling issue, since you are clearly missing triangles. That said, assuming you retopologized your model, you would want to model inner faces to cover up the backfaces of the inside of your skirt because Second Life indeed cannot see them.

Edit Edit: I was wayyy off -- That is indeed what around 6000 tris would look like. I should have tested that before opening my big mouth. That said, my advice hasn't changed. Even though I'm not sure what specifically is causing this issue, it would still be solved by retopologizing your mesh.

It seems like the skirtpart itself isnt showing up and i would try to flip the normals to solve that for this part.

But 6 K tris for a skirt, as Rahkis already said is fairly too much. This could have been done with around 700-1000.
For a reference the default (whole) avatar has 7 K.  
It looks like mesh coming from a clothing designer software or something that has been run through decimation processes. And considering to retopologize it might be a valid option here : )

Thanks a lot for your post,

Its true i know nothing about Blender, actually its the second time i even open this program, i knew MD from before and worked with it and by mistake i saw a dress on SL full permission and i recognize the map which is clearly MD so.. i started to look for tutorials on youtube, its true some of them using Blender or Max  to edit things but mostly they only export it as dae they do no editing and the items look  just fine and i thought its something i must do before i export it from blender, thank you for the topology threads i'll read that and try to understand how this work.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

"clearly not a backface culling issue"

Not so clear to me. Here is a picture of a cylinder with a patch of inverted normals without (left) and with (right) backface culling. Naturally, when you can't see the triangles, it looks as if they are missing.

bfcull.png

I think I just misinterperated what you were saying. Were you saying that if she turned on backface culling she could see the problem areas in Blender? That's true, of course. All I meant was that selecting everything and hitting ctrl + n would fix any flipped normals straight away.

At any rate, glad the issue is fixed.

You might consider looking up a tutorial on how to use the decimate modifier. I think it would work well for your purposes. Having Second life automatically create LODs for you is going to be very bad for your look when people are at a distance from you or have their graphics settings low.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.