Loading Very Slowly

Vendettasnow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im excited to play Second Life, but sadly i cant figure out whats wrong. Once i log in, everything is a tan-gray color.. Everything but my avatar loaded after about 10min. after trying to change how my avatar looked for 5min, i gave up. 

Is it just my computer cant handle it? 

Id really like to get it to work. 

Sounds like a connection problem. If you're using wireless switch to a wired connection.

Right about here is where all the people who have the same problems as you say, "My internet connection is just fine because I can blah blah blah" and I say that doesn't mean anything to SL. Second Life doesn't need speed in a connection, it needs reliability. It has to maintain a constant two way connection and most consumer internet connections are meant for simple one-way communication like sending web pages and video. Go to www.pingtest.net and run a test to San Francisco from where you are and see what sort of line quality you have.

Also SL tends to try to use several connections simultaneously and some routers choke on that. Go into "Preferences" - "Advanced" and turn on the "Develop" menu. Then go to that menu and try de-selecting "Use HTTP Textures."

Yes and yes. This sounds like a bad connection plus weak hardware. Not much one can do in this case. But please do us a favour and conduct a speed/ping test (but not to SF, since LL's server farms are in Dallas/Tx and some village in Pensylvania). This is also a good way to figure out if your ISP actually delivers the promised goodyness or if they are taking you for a ride.

Also please post your computer specs. Best way to get all the complicated numbers is the Help Menu - About [your viewer] ... Just copypaste the whole stuff into this thread.

Here are enough experts who can tell you excactly what kind of computer you'll need for SL. But with loading times of 10 mins I suspect it is indeed your connection.

Here's what you should do:

- Plug in!!!

- Stop all other online activities. Internet radio, streaming video, down- and uploading, surfing, emailing ... all that eats away valuable resources.

- In preferences set your bandwith to 500 kb, that's more than enough.

- Deacttivate Get HTML Textures.

- Set your graphics to minimum.

- Get the latest driver for your graphics card ... from the original manufacturer AMD or Nvidia, not from your PC builder.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.