Patchy region textures

Brantley Diesel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice...

I'm trying to terraform and texture my sim, but for some reason I can't get the textures to show where I want them.

For eg. water is set to 20m, most of the region is about 23m, with a couple of peaks at 40m - texture 1 is sand, 2/3 are grass, 4 is rock.

Even with low set at 10m and high at 40 I'm still getting sand bleed through at my 23m flat areas, how is this possible when low is supposed to be the highest point for texture 1??

All I want, is some sandy beach areas, nice flat grass, and few rocky peaks but it's not being that simple haha

Thanks in advance for any help!

SL blends terrain textures to give the land a more organic look. It would look unnatural if a terrain texture abruptly stopped at a particular elevation. The blending is calculated each time the sim rezzes for you and so it can change with every log in.

There is only 17m between your low and high and only 3m between the waters edge and where you wan the grass to start..  It isn't suspiring that you are getting a lot of blending of sand in the grass. 

You can either live with it, raise the grass area higher and use rocks, cliffs or retaining walls as needed, or let the textures fall where they will and use prims with the grass textures in the areas where you need it to be solid grass with no sand.

Alright, Thanks Amethyst.

It just seemed weird to me that the coastline is all grass, but I got bleed of sand on the higher parts lol especially as low says it is the "maximum height" for texture 1.

I'll just have to find a happy medium and some workarounds liek you suggested :)

• 4 weeks later...

Another thing you can do is use more similar textures in the same color family.  There was a thread about this long ago, I can't remember now, probably in the archives. The more contrast among the different textures, the more patches you get. The only problem with prim grass (an excellent solution to it, btw) is that the darned patches aren't always in the same places, so you'd need pretty big patches of prim grass, depending on the size of a parcel. We had a landscaper terraform and landscape one of the sims and she was so frustrated by this, she'd been a landscaper for years and never encountered the issue precisely because all her terrain textures are so very close to one another, if it happens, it really isn't noticed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.