Safe to use llDetectedTouchFace?

Syle Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just curious if it is safe to use llDetectedTouchFace in my script?

I want to use it on a color changing script for a mesh. The mesh used to be multiple objects so you could just click each object to make the script work but I combined the mesh into one object to lower LI. I want to have it so that you can click a face and the script will do certain things. Is it safe to use it for these purposes?

I ask because I saw this in the LSL wiki for llDetectedTouchFace and I am just curious if it is possible some viewers might not support it?

llSay(PUBLIC_CHANNEL, "Sorry, your viewer doesn't support touched faces.");

Text based clients can "see" objects, in that they can present you with a list of nearby objects and their coordinates.

Many clients can also list actions you can perform on the objects, if there's a touch event or if they're sittable, for example.

I won't comment on how likely it is, but someone using a text client certainly could end up touching your object.

Syle Devin wrote:

Ah ok thanks for the info. It doesn't sound like I'll have to worry then. Text based clients wouldn't be able to see the item using the script so it shouldn't be an issue?

Right. At best these alternative clients can see and touch prims. Faces or coordinates are a little beyond their current capabilities. If the thing you are building would be useful to, for example, sight impaired people, then you might want to offer some alternative interface, maybe dialogs, if you get that error value.

Lots of SL content is so visual that an alternative interface really wouldn't help anyone, so "invalid? well, ignore that touch!" often works too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.