Mesh texturing problem

MasterDiabolique

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone

I have this little annoying problem that is bugging me for quite some time. I wanted to start making mesh furniture models and some other things as wel, i'm fairly proficient with 3ds max so that was my modeling program of choice. I got down the separating the faces/materials to up to 8 materials on a single object, so it all works fine. Now, for example today i made a sofa... Textured it all nice with separate materials, unwraped UVW and baked in the texture for it.. uploaded the mesh to the beta server and just dragged and dropped the texture from the inventory onto it and it all looked FINE. Then i uploaded the SAME mesh with firestorm (perhaps theres conflict?) and put the SAME texture there and it looked alllllll over the place. What am i missing? I'm not sure if i missed a step along the way... it would be VERY VERY VERY appreciated if someone could do a step by step quick guide of how to succesfully export/import mesh from 3DS max over to SL... or point me to a guide you know about.

Thank you in advance :)

Diabolique

MasterDiabolique wrote:

it would be VERY VERY VERY appreciated if someone could do a step by step quick guide of how to succesfully export/import mesh from 3DS max over to SL... or point me to a guide you know about.

Wiki

About the difference between the LL viewer and Firestorm, for mesh uploads I always use the latest official release by LL. From what I've heard Firestorm gives issues every now and then, some of the the most anti-LL viewer people use the official one for mesh uploads.

• Like 1

All there is to know about exporting unrigged mesh is in the very first section of the wiki, the part with the version numbers. Different versions (of the autodesk fbx plugin) give different results. The 2011.3 version should work for all 3ds Max versions up to 2011, the 2013.2 or 2013.3 should work with 3ds Max 2012 and 2013. Read the part about the material and object names for the 2013 plugin, although as far as I know if these cause issues, you won't be able to upload at all.

Going by the fact the LL (Beta) viewer showed no issues with your model (Did you use the beta viewer? I now read you used the beta grid, but you don't say what viewer), I'd blame Frestorm. Another possibility, although less likely, is the dae conflict is solved in the beta release. Without knowing the version number of 3ds Max and its fbx plugin and without knowing if the official release of the viewer lets you upload without issues, it's a bit hard to say anything specific.

Thank you for all the response and i appreciate the help, yes i haven't noted properly i WAS using beta viewer as well. Going to experiment some more on the subject as i switched to newer version of 3ds Max (2013) and hopefuly it will help with uploading meshes on regular LL viewer.

Thanks again :)

Diabolique

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4114 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.