SL flickers and runs poorly.

Faustus Flux

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When SL first boots up it flickers badly. By that I mean it turns black and appears to reload. Not the viewer, just everything inside the window. After a minute or two, it will stop, but then starts doing it again every time I open a dialog or control box in game. Also the game seems to run poorly compared to how it ran about a year ago. I am still using the same machine (specs. below). If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

CPU:  Intel Core2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz

System Memory: 12 GB DDR2 1600 Hz

Video cards: 2X Radeon HD 4870 X2 4GBs video memory w/ latest drivers.

Thanks for all the info. I went through all the graphics settings one at a time, including all the advaced settings with no noticeable difference. The only thing on the stats page I thought a little high was the ping, it was between 89-106msec. This was at Voice Echo Canyon. I'm going to try a wipe and redownload of SL. My hardware is set at 60FPS. Thanks again for all your help. I hope the reinstall will fix it. I'm scheptical though.

Help> About Second Life: does list my vid card (Radeon HD 4870 x2). Unfortunately Catalyst control center has issues with my bios, so I don't have it installed. I tried using the earlier driver earlier, but then SL wouldn't load past "Initializing VFS" Thanks again for all your ideas. If and when i find a solution, I'll add to the post.

OK, reloaded SL viewer to no avail. Still having same trouble. I would appreciate any suggestions at this point. Pretty frustrating. >:(

3 answers to this question

I've seen flickering to black, at frames higher than 60 FPS

Your Pc specs are more than adequate.

You should review your Graphics settings in Preferences, check the Hardware settings.

Visit an empty Region, to establish some base performance levels, under minimal load. Voice Echo Canyon, usually runs well.

Open your Statistics Bar ... page, to look for anything unusual, packet loss, pending downloads, excessive memory usage, high ping sim,  etc.
 Save a screen shot of that to your pc, for reference here, if needed.

• Like 1

Hello,

when you open Help-> About Secondlife in the viewer,

do you see your graphics card (Radeon HD 4870) listed there?

If not, check your graphics software (CCC - Control Center), if it is using the correct graphics adapter for Second Life.

Make sure you use the latest version of the viewer: https://secondlife.com/support/downloads?lang=en-US

And if that doesn't help, try to rollback to the previous graphics driver version.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I went through all the graphics settings one at a time, including all the advaced settings with no noticeable difference. The only thing on the stats page I thought a little high was the ping, it was between 89-106msec. This was at Voice Echo Canyon. I'm going to try a wipe and redownload of SL. My hardware is set at 60FPS. Thanks again for all your help. I hope the reinstall will fix it. I'm scheptical though :P.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.