movies in sl

shaun Mosswood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone, 

I am in the process of buying a TV in sl and ive noticed the demo ones have a number of films already loaded by the owner, basicaly new dvd releases after cinema.  My question is how do they do this, I have a huge collection of dvd's and i know you can find movies on youtube and paste that url into the notecard in the TV ? So is it a case of me somehow getting my dvd's onto quicktime or flash player etc and then uploading to the sl tv from there and if so how is that done.

Please excuse my ignorance on this topic and thanks for any help you can give :). 

3 answers to this question

Shaun,

There are a number of Current Movie providers in SecondLife. They usually sell or give away a player with the scripts in it to gain access to, stream and view on your parcel. You become a "subscriber" of their content by either paying them a regular stipend or by outright purchasing a particular movie. [** commentary about the legality of this are suppressed ;) **]

You may also stream into SL your video for your own use but what is the point. If you own the content it views much better on your big screen tele. If you want to share a movie watching experience with friends however, the subscription above is the easier method as these services utilize media servers designed to stream audio/video content efficiently.

If you wish to do it yourself here is a link to a discussion on the ins & outs.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Parcel-media/ta-p/700097

~ and ~

http://howto.slserver.com/?cat=15

• Like 1

Yes true, you can stream a movie directly into SL. It's much more difficult than streaming your own music stream as I do as a DJ. But the principles are the same. Simply stated - The bandwidth requirements are higher and you will need 2 PCs and a relay service usually to do it properly. PC1 is your video streamer with your movie content on it and it sends a single stream up to a Video Relay Service. The video relay service server then takes the stream and shares it by starting streams to al "attached" viewers PCs using a QuickTime protocol. PC2 is where you do SL from so you may enjoy the movie with your friends. Mind you, an anomaly of this is all is that not everyone will be seeing the movie in-sync with your view of it. The relay service streams at the viewers leisure and performance levels.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.