Downloading

Peacanlove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

What do you mean by "downloading"?  The Second Life viewer is just like any other file (image, video, music or application) you might download from the Internet.  There is nothing special about the download that would prevent anyone from downloading it.  I have a feeling you are not downloading the setup file to your hard drive but, you are "running" the setup from the download site.  There are a number of potential problems with doing that (not just for SL either).  First (and what I think might be at the root of your problem) is if your connection to the Internet is slow (or weak) the setup file downloads as it installs the program (it downloads sections of the setup file, then installs it then downloads more, installs etc until the program is fully installed).  If there is a hiccup in you Internet connection during one of the download processes the installation will often fail.  That's why many people (myself included) say to never run a setuip file from it's location on the Internet. 

Instead, save the file to your hard drive before you install it.  Two huge benefits there.......both will often come in handy.  First by saving the file to your hard drive you have the opportunity to run your anti-virus software to check for mal-ware (even if the site you are downloading from is trusted you should always take the minute.......you might be surprised like I was a few years ago and ran across a virus from a very trusted site I used (and still do).  I consider the SL site to be very trusted.....but I run my AV across every download I get from the site.  The second benefit is by saving to your hard drive you now have the setup file to run incase something happens and you need to install that particular version of SL again.  How many times do we read questions here in Answers about how to go back to an earlier viewer after someone upgrades to a newer viewer and finds it's just not for them and want the "old" viewer back?  I read those questions often.......maybe an average of once a week.  Linden Lab does not archive the older viewers.....once a new viewer is released the older viewer is no longer available for download.  But if you have that viewer setup saved then you can go back at will.

If you want to clarify what's happening then use the "Options" in the upper right corner of your post and then "Edit".  Please don't start a new thread, as that causes lots of confusion.  I could be wrong in my answer since I just guessed what your problem is.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.