Remember to make a back-up of your terrain landscaping ...

Josef Balbozar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The past weeks have been an amazing time for me, finally after a couple of years of lurking around I decided to rent a sim from Miriam Chung Estates.

I paid one month's rent in advance at the beginning of the month and then put a great deal of effort into creating Santo Domingo my new firtual environment.

Why one month ? 

Snapshot_207.jpg

Here is a snap of part of Santo Domingo ....

Well this suits my cashflow even though the advertised rates are weekly. I invited some well known residents to exhibit their photographs at Santo Domingo and had lined up exhibitors to start in January. Everything was going well and the sim was looking truly spectacular.

Then it happened while I was completing a few final adjustments to a cliff top walk I'd landscaped. I pressed the reset button in error and flattened the entire landscape - Unfortunately, I cannot roll back the clock to get my time back so as to re-do the sim !

Anyway, Miriam Chung Estates do not allow their tenants to make terrain backups and they do not keep back-ups either. So when I contacted Miriam to ask if it would be possible to do a roll back so as to recover my work and my precious time it came as a great disillusionment to hear from her that in my case a roll back would not be done by the people she rents her estates from. She also does not keep back-ups for her tenants.

Reluctantly I realized it would be necessary to abandon the project because I must go back to work after my annual leave and so do not have the time needed to re-do the terrain. There has been no re-fund of the weeks paid in advance and my objects have not been returned either. Miriam says they will stay there until my rental expires ?

Some people would say this event illustrates why landscape or terrain work should be backed up in common with all other things computer. Some would also say they would never pay more than one week's rent in advance and would not do business with certain Estate Owners in-world. Also some would say to make sure you can contact them and be aware that it may be a surrogate you're dealing with when 24/7 support is on offer even though they all use one avatar name in common.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Only estate owners and not agents can bake the terrain and make a raw file.  An estate agent can't do that.  It wasn't a case of being allowed to or not by the estate owner..  LL doesn't allow it unless you own the estate.

If you ever rent a sim again always ask the estate owner if they'd be willing to make a raw file for you after you terraform and send it to you.  Many have no problem with that. 

As far as rollbacks, LL doesn't allow them much either.  There has to be a pretty good reason for it and your making an error wouldn't necessarily qualify.  It generally has to be for a reason that you had no control over.  In many cases rollbacks can also cause more problems that they resolve.

Hello Amethyst,

Your comment ignores the point and frankly it is difficult to see why you made it. Except perhaps as an exercise in personal ' I feel good Jack !' It is time you stopped doing that -

Surely as I wrote earlier,  some people would say that real customer service would entail pro-actively reminding those less experimented in our world that a back-up should be made by whatever means available... Some would go so far as to offer to keep them.

Some people would say that money machine will only function properly if it is maintained properly and although it may be possible to catch a tenant once, twice is not possible.

Here is a pic of the cliff top walk prior to completion :

Snapshot_239.jpg

• 8 months later...

While browsing, I saw this post of yours, it may be couple of months ago but I would like to inform you that I was trying to help you that time. I searched the chat logs we have and while I was helping you with your land, you abandoned it. Then you went offline. Usually, my tenants ask for their RAW file to be downloaded and I send it to them via email. Or, they sometimes request for baking of terrain and I always do both in just a few minutes. I would suggest to you that next time you terraform your land, Please ask your landlord to either do both so you have a back up. 

Thank you :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.