Sim Surround Question

Ensy SpiritWeaver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, I have been considering using a sim surround after seeing some very nice ones recently, but I remember some time ago that sim surrounds could cause problems with people not being able to sit on prims on a sim. I would like to know if this is still the case, or have there been any changes and/or new techniques that help with this? I know about the work around to use poseballs with scripts, but I rent out parcels on the land to tenants I have had a long time and I don't want to cause them any problems by bringing a sim surround in.

3 answers to this question

I have had sim surrounds for a long time and never heard of an issue such as the one you mention. The best way to test if it will work fine on your sim is to get a demo version. I would assume all sim surround merchants provide demos, but I know for sure that Landscape Unlimited does. :smileyhappy:

The workround, such as it is, is to ensure that sit targets are set for all the prims in the linkset on which you are trying to sit. 

If you're using one of the animation systems that doesn't use poseballs -- Npose, AvSitter, PerfectSitter and the like -- then it doesn't matter what the sit target is, since the scripts take over and position you as soon  you're seated, but you need them to be there.

I use this:

default{	state_entry()	{		llLinkSitTarget(LINK_SET,<0.0,0.0,0.5>,ZERO_ROTATION);		llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());	}}

which will create sit targets in every prim in the linkset, thus making it possible to sit on them, and then remove itself.

If you're trying to seat more avatars than there are prims in the object, though, you're almost certainly out of luck.

This, I hesitate to use the word solution, might not be for everyone.  A few months back I purchased the Swiss Alps Sim Surround skybox by accident (I wanted the normal Sim Surround and didn't read the excellent notes on the web site).  I ended up using the skybox rather than buy another almost identical product.

Like everyone has stated and as listed in the JIRA entry, I had problems with "sits" and the sim map disappearing.  A week or so later I decided to put a second identical sim surround up as a skybox at 500 meters. Somehow and I'm not sure how, the two seem to cancel each other out.  For the last 3 weeks I've had my sim map back and have not noticed any ill effects.  My sim does not have heavy usage and is at about 90% of its full prim usage.  I've also had no problem with sits. 

While having two 90+ prim surrounds might not be an ideal solution for everyone it does seem to work.  Alternatively, when time permits I'm going to see if strategically placing a few invisible mega prims would have the same effect.  Food for thought?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3914 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.