WANT TO UPGRADE MY COMPUTER

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a Dell OptiPlex 745MT computer this is it

refurb: DELL OptiPlex 745 MT Desktop PC Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz 2GB 80GB HDD Capacity Windows 7 Home Premium

this is the link for the computer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155386

I have upgraded the memory to 6GB of ram    I also have a GeForce GTS250 1GB  graphics card no this card needs

450 watts of power or greater (says this on the box)  my question is this  I know I need to upgrade my power supply

I want to know if this one will work I know it will fit the case (e bay listing has measurements)I just need to know if all the connections are there for my comp and the card this is the link to the power supply

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110804625111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hercules 500W Silent ATX Power Supply w/20-24pin SATA (Serial ATA) *NEW

Im pretty sure if I can make this power supply and graphics card work on this computer with 6 GB memory I will have a real good computer for SL      second life  will be the only thing on this computer

thanks in advance for any help   if there is any more info I can give Im sure I can get it with a little direction

any help is welcome

That PSU doesn't look to have a 6-pin PCI-E power connector, which the GTS 250 probably needs. I don't know that for sure, but it probably does... it'll look like a small, usually black, 6-pin socket on one corner of the trailing edge of the graphics card.

Without a PCI-E power connection of the PSU, you'll need an adapter to one of the molex plugs. This sort of thing...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106

Your graphics card might even come with one.

Really though, I'd look out for  PSU that has one, and maybe go to around 600-700W to give yourself a bit more headroom. As Jadeclaw says, physical sizes are standardised apart from one SFF boxes, so that wouldn't be a problem.

gregellistoronto wrote:

No guarantees that your Dell uses a standard ATX power supply.

I've seem lots that are non-standard, some BTX, etc.

Dell documentation might explain it, maybe.

That's a very good point, and having worked on Optiplex machines I should have remembered! I know the slim desktop and SFF versions don't use an ATX supply, and I've got a nasty feeling the desktop uses what technicians refer to as "That stupid L-shaped box". I can't find anything helpful in Dell documentation, so the OP had better check carefully before buying.

ok  to answer some things   the dell OptiPlex does use the standard  size box PS not the "L" shaped one

the e bay item I want to use has measurments and I checked them against the OptiPlex  and it will fit it is the

connetions im concerned about

this ATX & BTX is where I may run into probs I hope not as I did order the PS from e bay 

is there any chance there are adapters out there to make this work if  my connections are diff ???????

thanks for the farther insite

ok recived  the new PSU  installed it and got everything connected  booted it up

and everything worked perfect !!!!!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:matte-motes-big-grin:

next I disabled the on board graphics installed the GeForce GTS250 1GB  connected everything

back up and it works perfect   YAAAAAAAAAAA AGIAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:matte-motes-big-grin:

now I have a great machine just for SL  thanks to all who helped me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.