Faces not importing into sl

Bentley Squeegee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello folks, I am not sure if anyone has experienced this before and I have tried every possible workaround that I can think of to no avail.

I am trying to upload a very simple set of stacked cubes with holes in them, these cubes have 7 faces with a multisubmaterial of 7 faces and UV mapping attached and a collapsed, However when uploading to Secondlife, it seems that the mesh only takes on 3 of the 7 faces :/ I have tried exporting it using Collada from 3ds max, which fill in the holes for some odd reason, opencollada plugin from 3ds max, which destroys the uv maps for some reason and the fbx work around which imports the mesh fine but with only 3 of the faces. I dare say I may well have to recreate them, but If there is someone who could possibly help so I dont have to that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bentley

Booleans can be messy and sometimes create unnecessary faces, double edges, double verts, or remove edges where you actually want them, and other weirdness that the converter might be having trouble parsing. I'd convert to an editable poly after the boolean and do any neccessary cleanup then manually check your material IDs, Make sure you aren't losing edges that are needed to separate your mat IDs.

The proboolean itself usually gives me pretty clean results, but I'd turn it into an editable poly or editable mesh before export. Did you by any chance export the object still as a boolean? In that case you're likely to run into issues because both the base object and subtracted object are still in the modifier. (Check the poly/vert count by pressing 7 before and after turning it into an editable poly and notice the difference)

You should be able to see how many different material IDs are assigned if you select the object as editable poly (or editable mesh) by selecting individual polygons.

So first the boolean oprerations, then convert everything to one editable poly, assign a multi/sub with 7 IDs to it and assign the IDs to the proper faces.

Alternatively you could do the boolean operations for the seperate boxes, assign the single slot materials to them, then turn the lot into one editable poly. You can then check the IDs under surface properties.

I hope that helps.

Interestingly, I have tried all these things as suggested, I created the boxes one smaller than the other for the hole as per usual, Made them both editable polies, then boolean operations, the converted that to editable poly, then I dide a few little face chamfer's and stuff to make it a bit smoother, smoothing grouped ect. Uv mapped with no troubles at all and set poly id's for all the parts, then attached all the corresponding boxes and exported :/

Just a question, is there some where to view unseeable faces? maybe the face that is causing this problem is somehow invisible in the viewer? its a rather confusing situation as I have used boolean many times before and its imported just fine, yet I have tried remaking these boxes twice now and nothing has changed...

I also cleaned it up with the entire thing selected and welded to see if any vertices were removed as I read about it creating extras, but nothing changed. Below is an image I have attached of how the mesh is behaving when textures are applied, This is current in world as well as in 3ds max, As stated, the sub material changes 5 of the 7 faces when I change the particular material name.

Faces Issue

I don't understand what you mean by "unseeable faces". Other than the two white surfaces I don't see anything wrong in your picture.

If you want the object in 3ds max to look like it does in SL, with only one sided faces, you can turn on backface culling. It's in object properties (change "by layer" to "by object" and tick backface cull, or change that same setting for the layer properties) Not sure if that's what you mean.

For the materials, how did you name them? Did you use long names or spaces in the name? I think someone had issues with that.

By invisible faces I meant, maybe there is polies over the holes yet I cannot see them, not sure why or how though just a suggestion of maybe why.

As to naming, they are named by default. but strangely when I change the name of the Material that seems to be causing the issue in sl, 4 of the other change to the same name along with it. Its such a bizzarre issue, im not sure why or how, but its very irritating. haha

Bentley Squeegee wrote: Just a question, is there some where to view unseeable faces? maybe the face that is causing this problem is somehow invisible in the viewer? its a rather confusing situation as I have used boolean many times before and its imported just fine, yet I have tried remaking these boxes twice now and nothing has changed...

On the display panel uncheck "Edges Only" to be able to see hidden edges in wireframe views or shaded views with edged faces enabled. If an edge you were depending on to separate material IDs shows as dashed instead of solid recreate it (if working with editable poly) or select it and hit "make visible" (if working with editable mesh).

You can check for errors like double faces, double edges, double verts, and missing faces using xView which you can enable in the + menu in the upper left of the active viewport. You can also check for errors using the STL Check modifier.

I have tried the suggested STL check, and tried using xview but nothing is cropping up, I cannot however uncheck edges only as that area is greyed out :(

I could post up the file somewhere but will need to send that alkong privately, obviously I dont want the entireity of this forum getting their paws on it lol, even though its nothing special.

Thanks for sharing the file.

I think you made some mistake when making the multi/sub material. Did you by any chance instance one material to several slots instead of copying them? All you need to do to fix it as far as I can see, is making a new multi/sub, open the one you have in the material editor and set the number of materials to 1, then back to 7. You should have 7 unique materials there then.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.