What is error 4 when launching second life?

Radioman Bashir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been using SL off and on for several years.. This has just started happening in the last month.

I get error 4 when I re-launch secondlife and firestorm, after having closed the previous session.  What is this error? The only way to resolve it is reboot my machine.  

Win xp Pro sp3

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

3.25 GB Ram

NVidia GeForce 8400GS

onboard Realtech Audio

_____EDIT________

It was error 4. not 404,  although now that I try to login and get the error. I am error free...   so thanks to both of you. it seems to have resolved itself.

3 answers to this question

I never heard of error 4 either but this thread here http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Viewers/When-I-open-the-Second-Life-Viewer-I-immediately-get-Could-not/qaq-p/1512361  suggests to me it is a network issue and your computer is unable to connect to the Second Life grid for some reason. The grid was actually down when the OP in that thread got the error 4 message, which obvously isn't case with you as you've seeing this for a month. It's a very unusual error message and I've never seen any reference to it before. Why rebooting your machine then allows you connect is beyond me. All I can think of is to restart your router but maybe Peggy can add more. 

I really can't add much since I don't know what the error messgae is.......as far as I know (and I've searched) an error code "4" does not exist (not for an HTTP error code anyway).  HTTP error codes are all three digit  Looking at the list of error codes beging with "4" there are 56 possible codes to pick from (if I counted correctly........and it's possible I might have miscounted because I just skimmed them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

All I can think of is to clear the browser cache (the browser the user has set for SL.........either external or internal) and clear cookies.  A bit of warning on clearing cookies (which deleting them)........cookies save your preferences and sometimes log in information for many websites.  You'll have to re-enter all those preferences and log in stuff after you've cleared your cookies.  Most cookies are really unnecessary but cookies for this site (for instance) can be very useful.  Any site that has preferences that you can configure will have to be re-configured.  But, if it's a messed up cookie file causing the problem then that should fix it (after you re-do the settings).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.