Sculpties and blender, are we condemned to use primstar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You know something is not right, when in order to use the widely considered best open source 3d modelling program, you need to pay 20 bucks for a script. Every tutorial I find either gives me a template that simply doesnt work right, or leads me to Avastar, primstar, etc.

Are there absolutely no tutorials, no alternatives, no other way to make a sculptie in blender that doesnt involve paying 20 bucks for a script?

You can simply skip sculpties alltogether and create 'regular' mesh objects that you export as collada files from Blender and upload. You have much more freedom both in how you create them and how you texture them. And no need for the type of script you need to create sculpties.

Have a look here for more information: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh

You don't have to buy anything to make sculpties. 

1.  There are several older tutorials out there that should help you in figuring out what you need to do to make a sculpty and import it into SL. 

2.  You can use the older and free Jass w. Blender tool.

3.   You can just get over it and realise that the work to make a sculpty the really old fashioned way is so much work that the addon is worth 20 bucks.

Not at all. Properly made with optimising for SL, meshes are usually more resource friendly than sculpties. That is not reflected in the LI for reasons of backward compatability. Also, there are plenty of unoptimised meshes around that do waste resources, just as there are plenty of excessively used sculpties.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.