The consequences of unfriending?

chrisbreitling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not quick at accepting friend requests in SL but since SL is what it is you never know who is behind that avatar. So, if I have accepted a friend request and later on I decide (as in RL) that that friendship is over -yes it happens-, I can "unfriend" the avatar in the SL viewer.

My question is... once you unfriend somebody, can they still see stuff from you such as your profile details (which?), online status, etc.?

Would be nice if the SL system offered a finer control of which parts of your profile you want to make public, private or only visible to your friends only. I think users have the right to some privacy in their SL as well.

chrisbreitling wrote:

My question is... once you unfriend somebody, can they still see stuff from you such as your profile details (which?), online status, etc.?

Would be nice if the SL system offered a finer control of which parts of your profile you want to make public, private or only visible to your friends only. I think users have the right to some privacy in their SL as well.

Your online status can be seen by anybody. There is a green dot on your profile indicating when you are online and this dot cannot be disabled (I can see you are online now).

However, using the privacy settings on your profile (https://my.secondlife.com/chrisbreitling) allows you to restrict what others can see on it. You can set all or part of your info to "friends only", "Second Life", "everyone" or "nobody".

chrisbreitling wrote:

I am not quick at accepting friend requests in SL but since SL is what it is you never know who is behind that avatar. So, if I have accepted a friend request and later on I decide (as in RL) that that friendship is over -yes it happens-, I can "unfriend" the avatar in the SL viewer.

If you want your profile details to be viewed by the public in general, then when you unfriend someone, they will still be able to see your profile details. An unfriended avi can also view your online status, but just not as easily as before when they were on your friendship list.

As for Linden Lab creating a more sophisticated system for privacy settings, which I am sure many would want, it seems more concerned about giving SL residents things like pathfinding so people can create objects given to artificial intelligence of which I am not too sure many want, but it will be the griefers' delight for sure.

In the avatar's profile one can go to settings and set "This user can see your online status". Now the question there is, if they are in your friend list you can control whether they see you online or not, so far so good. But if they are not your friends then they can always see it? no block or blacklisting? that seems a bit strange.

As for the rest that is just what I was looking for, the privacy settings thank you very much Valery.

Hi again Chris.

"This user can see your online status" works inworld, but not on the web site.

Even a blocked/muted person still can see your online status, especially since the web-based profiles were launched. It's a privacy setting many Residents would want but so far, there is no way to hide your online status.

chrisbreitling wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, coming from the software development area I would say that is a flaw in the implementation. There must be consistency across the system.

I agree. If one mutes/derenders another avi, that avi so muted/derendered should not be able to view anything about the avi who muted/derendered them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.