still confused about what info shows up with vendors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently, I bought some items with Linden dollars at a vendors mall.  Now the Linden dollars themselves were purchased earlier in a block using my credit card associated with my account in the billing information.  However, the items were purchased using Linden dollars.  Shortly thereafter the vendor responded in the chat window using my real first name, not the name of my SL account.  Is our billing information such as the name associated with the credit card actually passed to the vendor?  Is paypal different than credit cards in this regard though since we have a credit card/bank account tied to paypal is that info also passed to the vendor?

Thanks

Parthenna,

No. Paying with Lindens does not pass on your Account Real Life name to the Merchant.

This is very simple.

1) If you have lindens on account and you purchase something from the Marketplace, at check out time, you have the option of paying with your 1) Lindens ~ or ~ 2) your PayPal account.

2) If you have lindens on account and you purchase something in-world at a scripted vendor object you only have the option of paying with your 1) Lindens ~ or ~ 2) a Merchant  Gift Card ~ or ~ 3) a balance on account at that Merchants store.

3) If you have insufficient lindens on account and you attempt purchase something in-world at a scripted vendor object you will get the SL pop-up offering allow you to purchase additional Lindens with your payment method on file.  Only after you have sufficient Lindens on account can you then retry to pay for the desired object in-world..

If you pay with Lindens, your purchase is registered with your Avatar Account Name and both your Transaction History and the Merchants Transaction History will reflect this.

If you pay with PayPal, your PayPal Account Business & Real Name name is made available pursuant to the PayPal terms of service to the Transaction History for both you and the Merchant.

Therefore if you require real life anonymity, please always make sure that you pay in Lindens.

https://secondlife.com/my/account/transactions.php?lang=en-US

Please look at your Transaction History. You will probably find that you used the last default payment option and paid with a PayPal account at lease once for a particular item with that vendor.

It is possible that your particular merchant has a high end customer database implemented. If you paid them just once with PayPal, then YOU associated your Avatar Account with your Real Life Name via that single transaction. I'm not sure that this is in anyway a violation of any LL Privacy Rules as long as they do not disclose this information publicly.

Just wish to add that some inworld vendors now accept PayPal and Credit cards. This is a new feature of one of the more popular vendors.

However since you only used these methods to buy lindens and then used the lindens to purchase the items, than the merchant should not have RL information.   If I were you I'd ask this merchant how he got your RL information.  If he is honest he should have no problem telling you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4355 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.