Has anyone seen these shoes in the marketplace?

RoidStroke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have not seen them, but, if I did, I would be suspicious that the creator was infringing Nike's trademark.

Just as I was writing the above sentence, a question came into my mind about trademarks.

Trademarks are registered for specific uses.  For example, if I registered "Boyle's Best" as a trademark to be used for fresh produce, anyone who wanted to could register it for a line of clothing.  What I just started wondering about is if Nike's, and most other RL trademarks, cover virtual goods.  If the registered their name and the swoosh for athletic clothing, does that really cover its use in virtual clothing that has no physical existence?  After all, the purpose of granting exclusive rights to trademark holders is to keep others from using the mark on goods that are similar to what they sell, misleading consumers about their origin.  No one would ever confuse virtual shoes with real shoes.

Just wondering.

"After all, the purpose of granting exclusive rights to trademark holders is to keep others from using the mark on goods that are similar to what they sell, misleading consumers about their origin.  No one would ever confuse virtual shoes with real shoes."

Those that are RL designers and are selling the virtual version of their creations inworld - or the SL designers that are selling "real" versions of their inworld creations - might heartily disagree with this statement.

@RoidStroke: No I haven't.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.