Access Question

Tomkinson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a question about granting access. 

I have a private Island that is sub-divided into a few parcels so that different videos can be shown on the different screens. My issue is being able to grant people access to these parcels. Is it just a case of opening up the 'About Land' section on each parcel and adding names or is there a way I can add access to them all in one go? I will (theoretically) be managing several hundred users so was hoping I could grant access based on groups. Is that possible? 

So far I have been having to go into the Regions window and add group access there, then go into the 'About Land' window and also add access there on a individual basis...there must be a better way that I am missing...

I'm not sure I understand what you want.  

If you have multiple groups that you want to let into your island, you can use the region-estate panel, Estate window for that.  

If all these groups can also go to all the parcels, you can just set the parcels to public.  

If you want parcels to have different groups, you can set each parcel to one specific group, but only one per parcel.  

If your need is more complex than that, I know of no method except setting access lists for each parcel.

So even if a person is a member of a group that is on my access list for the entire Region/Estate, I still have to add them individually to the parcels that are in the region?

What is the point in the access lists for the Region then?

Tomkinson wrote:

So even if a person is a member of a group that is on my access list for the entire Region/Estate, I still have to add them individually to the parcels that are in the region?

Provided each parcel is set up to allow Group members, no. You won't need to to add them to access lists.

Group access overrides access lists. However all visitors will need to wear their group tag to enter the parcel. If your entire sim is limited to group, then they'll need to wear their group tag to TP to the region at all.

Users of Second Life can be a member of up to 42 groups. In order to utilize the permissions of these groups (such as rezzing objects on land, land access, eject/ban powers) the user must have the relevant group set to 'Active', showing their group title above their heads (i.e., a worn tag). Each user can only have one active group at a time.

User A is a member of Group A, Group B and Group C. On Group A land, User A needs to have Group A set to 'Active' in their Groups page to be granted any special permissions.

Hope that helps.

Right, I get it. So if a user is only a member of a single group they are automatically wearing that tag? 

Last question (hopefully), if I uncheck 'Allow Public Access' on the Region panel but check it in the individual Parcel panel then that locks the island down for only the groups and members on the Region panel access lists but they would be able to freely wander the 'Public' parcels on my island. But the parcels would still be locked to the general public because of the setting in the region panel. Is this right??

Tomkinson wrote:

Right, I get it. So if a user is only a member of a single group they are automatically wearing that tag? 

Ah no, every user also has the option of 'No Active Group' or 'None'. Active group tags are displayed above users heads, above their Display Name and/or Username.

Tomkinson wrote:

Last question (hopefully), if I uncheck 'Allow Public Access' on the Region panel but check it in the individual Parcel panel then that locks the island down for only the groups and members on the Region panel access lists but they would be able to freely wander the 'Public' parcels on my island. But the parcels would still be locked to the general public because of the setting in the region panel. Is this right??

My understanding is that Region controls override Parcel controls. Removing 'Allow Public Access' on your Region control would likely disallow any parcels from being open to public access.

I think the best approach would be to leave Public Access as allowed on the region, and then disable it only for the non-public parcels, using Parcel controls.

Trial and error is a good bet, too, to confirm this.

To last question: right. Parcels can be set to public because only people in groups on the region access list can get to the island.  

BTW. People in a group with access may be able get to the island without activating the group sometime, but that is not reliable.  Hence you need to remind people that access requires activating one of the allowed groups.  

TKR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.