Need help with Jet Avatar!

Rita Spanton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for help in. Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to make an avatar of the EDI UCAV featured in the movie Stealth by Columbia Pictures. 

If you want some information on the EDI UCAV I'll write some below,

the EDI UCAV (Extreme Deep Invader - Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle) is a joint program in relation to the F/A-37 Talon. The UCAV EDI (call sign "Tinman") is smaller than the Talon and has a downward-canted delta platform. Despite its designation as a UCAV, it retains a cockpit for maintenance and emergencies. Among the new features are V/STOL capability, a Kermit (metal ceramic) composite exoskeleton, and aeroelastic wings. The engine is described as a Pulse Detonation Engine with twin Hybrid Scramjet Turbos fueled by catalyzed A1 methane. Being unmanned, EDI has shown to disregard G-forces and perform a complete sharp angle, high speed turn. It carries 2 Throat Ripper AAMs, 2 Shock Hammer AGMs, 3 AGM-130s, known as Blue Ferrets, and 2 GAU-12 Equalizers. It is stated that with that load out EDI could kill 150,000 people or more if it attacks a city. EDI also carries 3 FAE, or fuel air explosives, missiles, though the designation of those missiles, and/or their power is unknown.

I already have a model for the EDI UCAV, but it's saved in the Google Sketchup program and I can't save it as the file Second Life wants it in so I could upload the model to Second Life. 

You can find an image of the model itself here. I'm not sure if it's allowed to use a model like this, but it is free to use and it's not a game-rip. I am also worrying about the AO and animations for the avatar as you are meant to WEAR it.

Can anybody give me advise or help me?

Google Sketchup should be able to export collada.dae which is the proper format to upload to SL.

See this picture http://www.calclassic.com/Images/tutorials/sketchup_export.jpg

But the problem you also face is in order for it work as an avatar. You have to rig the model so that it acts with the animations for the sl avatar. Assigning bones and weights to the parts you want to move..

It may be a good idea to export it as a collada.dae and then import it into blender and learn how to rig mesh

There is several tutorials and videos out ther that show you how to rig an armature for a mesh model

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Exporting_a_mesh_from_Blender#Bones_and_rigging

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.