which cache files should i delete from hard drive?

Tina Wilber

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

my veiwer started  freezing on startup screen about 1/8th in .I tried clear cache in secondlife pref but didn't  work.can i delete all cache files on my hard drive without effecting my other stuff?

Ok remember like i'm 5 years old please.You want my specs from my pc not from sl help window!

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 Other OS Description  Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name THOMAS-PC System Manufacturer Acer System Model Aspire 5750 System Type x64-based PC Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) BIOS Version/Date Acer V1.13, 8/17/2011 SMBIOS Version 2.7 Windows Directory C:\Windows System Directory C:\Windows\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514" User Name Thomas-PC\Thomas Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB Total Physical Memory 3.85 GB Available Physical Memory 2.54 GB Total Virtual Memory 7.71 GB Available Virtual Memory 5.58 GB Page File Space 3.85 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I don't understand ur question.I was able to go to SL answers and discribe my problem .There someone had the same problem. and the answer was the cache so i tried it. but urtelling me its my graphic's card .

13 answers to this question

You need to delete all the contents and subfolders of the cache directory.  So, in Windows 7, that's everything in C:\Users\[windows user name]\AppData\Local\SecondLife -- all the files and archived files and the two subfolders, objectcache and texturecache

Don't worry about breaking anything.  Simply open C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\SecondLife, put the mouse pointer inside it, hit CTRL A  to select everything, and then DELETE.

Open Windows Explorer, and find your Local Disk (probably called C:)
Then scroll down all the folder names under C until you get to Users. Click on the little arrow to the left of Users to open it.
Find your Windows username there. Open That.
Inside that folder, find App Data, and open that.
Inside App Data, find a folder called Local, and open that.
Inside Local, scroll down until you find a folder called "Second Life".
You need to delete everything inside "Second Life" (which should be two folders, one called objectcache and one called texturecache, and lot of other files with names that look like uuids)

will i ever get to play second life agian?

--------------------------------------------

If you give up that easily then you probably won't ever be able to play SL again. Deleting cache files for any program (SL, your browser, or any other program that creates and uses caches) will not harm you computer or the program. Cache files are temporary files. The get over written numerous times (which is exactly like deleting the data contained in them). Delete a cache file and all that happens is that the program using the cache will download and re-populate the cache with new (and current) data.

Open your viewer but don't log in. Go to the tab where you clear your cache using the viewer (Veiwer 3 that is on the "Advanced tab"). Make a note of the location shown in the box next to the "Clear Cache" button.. Close your viewer and navigate to that folder. Click on the final folder at the end of that path then "Select All", Hit the delete button.

Another way is to uninstall your viewer (all veiwers if you have more than one). Then do a search of your computer for Second Life or SL. Manually detete every file and folder found in the search. Then download a fresh copy of the viewer and install it.

Here's a picture showing where the default cache locations are using Windows 7.  The pink "You" is your name for your computer (or account on your computer).  The greenish grayed folders are the caches you want to delete.  Simply click on the folders (one at a time) then "Select All > Delete". 

Cache location - Copy.jpg

Then your problem is not your cache. We need some computer specs. Again, launch the viewer (but don't try to log in). Click on the "Help" menu. You'll see your basic computer specs listed. Copy those and post back here for us to see........some more clues will help a great deal.

And, you don't need to use the permalink to do that. Use Options > Edit at the top of your initial post to add the specs and any comments. It makes it a ton easier for others to help you out with your problem.

Well, that's a pretty low end laptop with a weak graphics adapter.  But it should run SL at low settings.......at least for a while before it crashes.  Check Acer's driver download site for an updated video driver.  That may help but I won't swear to it.

I got a question though.  You started this thread wanting to know which cache files you could safely delete.  That has been answered for you.  But, what made you ask about caches when it appears that you have never been able to log in......not with that computer anyway?

It works......but your question has me confused. You wanted to know which files can be safely deleted. Now it seems you simply can't log in. Maybe if you discribe your problem and any error messages. It would help to know what your problem is. Clearing a cache won't fix a failure to log in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.