Texture upside down on Blender plane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Catchy title huh?

Sorry to ask this question, I've debated about asking it because unfortunately I've not even been able to get past this problem past blender and into SL.  Also debated becauase it may be so simple, I'll kick myself for not figuring it out.  Bruised enough as it is learning Blender.   Anyway...

My steps...

1. delete default box

2. Add Mesh plane

3.  split screen and enable uvmapping environ

4.  tab into edit mode on the plane

5.  unwrap it from the menu on the side

6. Add material in properties

7.  Add my texture,  making sure to change Mapping Cooridinates to "UV"

8.  go to Uv screen and add image there with alpha and checker board pattern

9.  Select my texture

10.  Make sure the "Keep UV and Edit Mode mesh selection in sync" is active

11.  Change from edit mode to Texture mode to see my work of art on the mesh.  Instead it is upside down.  Always.  I've seen videos of ppl doing this without doing anything else special ( that I can see ) and all time their textures are oriented in same manner as the original texture in the uv mapping screen.  Why do you think my Mesh plane always shows upside down?

Very Wrong Wright

check your normals.  Not sure which version of Blender you are using or i would give directions on how to do that.

Try this whil in edit mode - highlight everything and press ctrl-n.   I believe that works in both versions of blender.  

You could just flip the plane aorund in SL but I assume you are trying to undersatnd why the texture is where it is.  sometimes blender gets confused and puts the normals on the wrong side.  

hey hibit..

I'm using the latest version of Blender 2.62.  Mac OS 10.7.3 (Lion)  

I researched the answer Nacy gave me and little while later I just literally selected the UV texture and rotated it 180.  And that worked.

That seemed to work for me.  I am just damn curious why one has to jump thru this hoop at the very beginning of texturing.  I am using the default settings.

I've read about the normals and that to me just means the "face" defined by the vertices?  In other exercies of learning this stuff, i've attempted to make double sides.  That in and of itself is for another post but essentially I am trying to duplicate the plane and  "flip" the normal on the new plane so it points in the opposite direction of the other.

You asked for a follow up explanation from hibit, but I hope you don't mind my interjecting myself here.

Go into UV edit mode and try all the different UV unwrap modes.  You'll find for a plane if you select "Project from View Bounds" for example, your texture will be applied in the orientation you expect.

Orientation from a straight "Unwrap", even for a simple plane may seem somewhat arbitrary but there is most likely the expection more work is yet to be done to get the UVs perfect via tweaking (moving, scaling, resewing, etc.) the initial unwrap results.

This doesn't have to do with Normals, however.

edited because I spelled hibits name incorrectly. My apologies.

Thank you both for your help in answering my problem.  I am very new to this and try to spend a little each day looking at the program.

I'd that is  a good idea Nacy, I should take a look at each of those unwrap options, not like they're going to bite me.  I should "play" more with this.  Following tutorials does tend to narrow my focus and choice of tools.

I've gotten quite quick at rotating the texture now.  I hope to explore then the projection thing shortly and measure the results.

Again thanks to your both.

Wrong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.