How Do I Set Maximum Frame Rate?

Haravikk Mistral

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, so I'm running SL on integrated graphics, so allowing SL to run faster than 24-30 fps actually cripples performance as it wastes GPU time and slows the CPU, making SL nothing but a resource hog. Plus I'm not sure SL really benefits from more than 30 fps to begin with.

Anyway, there's a hidden setting "MaxFPS" available in debug settings (under the Develop menu); I've set this to 24 and restarted Second Life, but it doesn't seem to be actually be doing anything.

Does anyone know how to actually enable frame-rate limiting in the official SL viewer?

3 answers to this question

Second Life doesn't have a proper built-in frame rate limiter. You're correct that MaxFPS exists, but the viewer developers never connected that switch to control anything - so it doesn't work. :D

You can find more information about this problem in an associated forum thread here. It's possible that third party viewers utilise MaxFPS properly, but without experience I can't say for sure.

Depending on your graphics capabilities (you don't give any details), the software that was supplied with your graphics chip may allow you to limit the framerate across your entire system - this would work for SL too, and you can just disable the limit when you want more than 30FPS.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.